The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I treadmill for 45 mins 6 out of 7 days (covering around 5KM each time) and by the end of it my shirt is covered in sweat. I've been doing this initially doing only 20mins and now over several years I worked up to 45 mins but I haven't been able to lose any weight. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I avoid fatty food (eg. cheese, deep fried, anything with large amounts of oil).

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
If you count calories and gradually reduce them somewhat each week or so then you should lose weight. I agree with you, exercise alone is not enough. I eat only 130 carbs per day and walk 60 minutes per day at a fast pace but I do not lose weight. Thank goodness I don't gain either. I should start paying attention to my calories too. I am told that is the secret.

Richard

·
Registered
1 Posts
First of all, 45 minutes on the threadmill is a lot for me and if you have not been losing weight, my guess will be that you are taking in too much calories like what Richard said.

It is not just oily food that you should avoid. Read up on things like calorie count as carbohydrates from food like rice, noodles and bread can keep your weight up as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi friendliness, you might want to check out this company Mark Patrick Media for weight loss with hypnosis. I went to one of their weight loss programs and used their cds. I have been a professional dieter my entire life and for the first time I am actually seeing results. I always new what to do to lose weight but now I find myself eating less and wanting to exercise. Hypnosis worked for me! Anyway they do programs all over the place along with downloads on their site. Here is there site.... Mark Patrick Media

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi there!

I have had some problems with my weight as well. Eating low carb (60-100 carbs a day) and low calorie (1200 kcal a day), I haven't lost much more than 5 kg in 4 months.

I had some testings done at the hospital. Appears that my metabolism is really low. I also have PCOS (not really helpful when you need to lose weight :cool:) and insulin resistence.

Measuring 165 cm and weighing 82 kg is not my best feature. Having a fat percentage of 47% is not something to write on your resume.
But I'm here, and I'm alive and I'm doing the best I can to keep up the good work. I avoid most fats (except for olives, avocado, smoked salmon and canola oil), eat my greens (no more raw veggies for me, since I don't digest them any more :(), skip the bread and potatoes,..

Hang in there! You have one step ahead of me that I know off: you exercise...I don't...:eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi meurtelken..
Lower your carb intake even more and exercise. The extra insulin your body is pumping out and not doing any good because your body is resistant to it, is turning your carbs into fat. Also, to boost your metabolism and lower your blood sugar, exercise is an absolute MUST.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi meurtelken..
Lower your carb intake even more and exercise. The extra insulin your body is pumping out and not doing any good because your body is resistant to it, is turning your carbs into fat. Also, to boost your metabolism and lower your blood sugar, exercise is an absolute MUST.
Hi Rosebud...

thanks for the advice. I have heard it many times before. So at a certain point, I dragged myself to the gym 3 times a week and under supervision of a fysiotherapist, I worked out 1 1/2 hours. That time I hung in and kept going for 6 months. Hypos, binge eating, huge differences in blood sugars and some more weight...That's how I ended up. It really upset me. We started out with a bunch of diabetics (I was the only type 1). All of them lost weight, and quite a bit. So I do believe exercise helps. But then why didn't it help for me? I believe exercise is so not me, that it frustrates me. And frustration makes me binge.... I have been binge free for nearly a year now, and going back to exercising scares me...

I know there are different kinds of exercise. Been there, done that: horse back riding, biking, walking, swimming, working out, aerobics, step, .... None of them really got my attention.

Is it so that you can not lose weight unless you exercise

About the low-carb way of life. The other day, I asked a professor in endocrinology about low-carb eating, because I also feel better when I eat less carbs (although I CRAVE carbs, my body says no way!). She was not happy with my method. My dietitian would want me to eat 220 gr carbs a day. I need 60 units of insulin a day already!! (used to be 85 units a day, since day 1).
The problem in Belgium is, we don't have low-carb food like Dr.Atkins or Dreamfields. It's just not available. So many low-carb recipes are just not manageable.

Hope to hear more on this subject, because yes: I DO want to lose weight....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi

There should be no worry if what you are doing to control weight
You may be having solid bony mass which is accounting for the weight.
Donot lose heart,go ahead with the exercise.

Best Wishes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
220 carbs a day??? Is she crazy??? But it's typical..they want to keep you sick so that you'll still continue to be a patient and keep her pockets padded and continue to keep the drug companies happy and rich by needing insulin and other medicines.
If you have fresh meat, cheese, and vegetables, in your country, that's all you need. Stay away from pasta, bread, potatoes, cake, candy, etc..
I wish you luck!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Rosebud. I didn't see your Introduction in the Introductory section so.....Welcome!! :) Thanks for the Good info. A Big Congrats on losing the weight. Good job!!

I wish I had a Magic pill for People to lose weight since I know it is Very hard to do for many. I've seen People struggle through it also. Food can be addictive to some, just like smoking unfortunately. Too many chemicals put in the foods. Some it affects others it doesn't. The metabolism is also too slow for some. Mine seems to work okay thankfully. I still need to gain some though.

That is a lovely photo of you btw. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
220 carbs a day??? Is she crazy??? But it's typical..they want to keep you sick so that you'll still continue to be a patient and keep her pockets padded and continue to keep the drug companies happy and rich by needing insulin and other medicines.
If you have fresh meat, cheese, and vegetables, in your country, that's all you need. Stay away from pasta, bread, potatoes, cake, candy, etc..
I wish you luck!
Hey Rosebud!

Low-carb way of life is not accepted yet in Belgium. Some patients do follow it, and are very happy with it, but so far I haven't found any doctor or dietitian to agree with this way of life. They say if you eat low-carb, you eat more fat and more protein and neither of one is healthy :( You know, some days, I don't know what to eat any more....I need more ideas, more recipes. And living over here makes it harder in that manner, that we don't have access to all those lovely low-carb foods!
In restaurants, I ask to trade the potatoes for extra veggies and most of the time, I end up paying more.. That sucks...

And..just FYI: 220 gr of carbs is for diabetics on a diet... If you don't need to lose weight, you're supposed to eat more carbs...

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Are there a lot of overweight folks in Belgium like there are in the USA and the UK? There are definitely not a lot of overweight people in India and yet diabetes is in epidemic proportions there. That is hard for me to grasp!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Are there a lot of overweight folks in Belgium like there are in the USA and the UK? There are definitely not a lot of overweight people in India and yet diabetes is in epidemic proportions there. That is hard for me to grasp!
No Richard.... There aren't many people over here (Belgium) that have the size some overweight (do I spell that right? Or should it be overweighed?) Americans have. Really overweight people over here would weigh like 330 pounds. Men weigh around 175 pounds over here (average men) and for women I would say around 155 pounds.

The other day, I saw a documentary on this American man going to the UK to warn people about fast food and unhealthy life style. He was big... really big.. He called himself the Burger King... He said England was catching up with the States. And that doesn't sound good at all.

In Belgium, we have fast food chains MacDonald's, Quick, KFC and Pizzahut. That's about it. The nearest Mac is a 15 min drive from our house. To find a Quick (similar to Mac) we need to drive 45 min. Same for KFC. Pizzahut is 35 min away.
We have fastfood like once every two months. We don't eat out for breakfast. Some people still bring sandwiches to work for lunch. People still cook their own dinners. But I do see that things evolve into more and more take away. Especially amongst young couples. My parents' generation (55-65 year olds and older) don't do take away..

Belgians love their fries though. In every town, you find a 'frituur' where you can buy french fries and other fried meat snacks. And I must admit: every Belgian family visits these places more than they should. Over here, these "frituren" have more visitors than the Mac.
It's not any better though...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Rosebud!
And living over here makes it harder in that manner, that we don't have access to all those lovely low-carb foods!
In restaurants, I ask to trade the potatoes for extra veggies and most of the time, I end up paying more.. That sucks...

And..just FYI: 220 gr of carbs is for diabetics on a diet... If you don't need to lose weight, you're supposed to eat more carbs...
Ok, so am I to understand you don't have access to fresh meat, fish and vegetables? Because that is all you need to live low carb. Also, you can have certain fruit, like blueberries, blackberries, cantaloupe, etc...within moderation, of course. Go to The Atkins Diet Weight Loss Program: Diets - Weight Loss - Nutrition and you'll see all the wonderful foods you can eat. Atkins products aren't available in your country, but with internet access you can look up low carb recipes and make your own. Low carb is not restrictive. It's just lowering your sugar intake, mostly your REFINED sugars. You do NOT need sugar to survive. Most of the low carb pasta is yucky, except for Dreamfields, but you don't need pasta to survive either. I have heard of people who have reversed their diabetes and have gotten off medication just by living low carb, losing weight, exercising, and taking certain supplements like Chromium Picolinate, Alpha Lipoic Acid, etc... Not sure you would be able to reverse yours, but maybe you can at least lower the amount of insulin you need.
I quit smoking and gained 60lbs, then shortly afterwards, I was diagnosed with breast and thyroid cancer. The chemo I was given for the breast cancer put me into menopause right away and I had to have my thyroid completely removed. Being hypothyroid and menopausal made it doubly hard for me to lose weight, so I became complacent about it and stayed overweight for 5 years. My husband became concerned about my blood sugar, because he knew my family history with diabetes and suggested I start testing myself and sure enough I found that my blood sugar was out of wack. I did lose the weight, and my blood sugar is normal, but I still have to eat low carb. After losing the weight, we took my grandson to McDonalds and I figured I could treat myself to some McDonald's french fries. My blood sugar went from 90 before the french fries to 195 after the french fries. THAT is why low carb is important.
As far as paying more in a restaurant to substitute potatoes for veggies, I know it sucks, but don't you think your health is worth it? I've paid extra in some restaurants as well, but it was worth it for my health.
I still think 220 grams of carbs is way too much. You probably have to consume that to counteract the insulin. But if you consumed less carbs, it would stand to reason that you'd need less insulin, right?
I don't mean to sound preachy, but sometimes I get overly concerned and overly helpful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello Rosebud. I didn't see your Introduction in the Introductory section so.....Welcome!! :) Thanks for the Good info. A Big Congrats on losing the weight. Good job!!

I wish I had a Magic pill for People to lose weight since I know it is Very hard to do for many. I've seen People struggle through it also. Food can be addictive to some, just like smoking unfortunately. Too many chemicals put in the foods. Some it affects others it doesn't. The metabolism is also too slow for some. Mine seems to work okay thankfully. I still need to gain some though.

That is a lovely photo of you btw. :)
Hi Terrie,
I really didn't post an introduction...lol My first post was to offer help to someone (OneMoreSoul) in the introduction section.
Well, anyway, here is an impromptu intro...lol My real name is Roseann. I'm 56 and I live in Califon, NJ. I have two daughters. Danielle is 23 and will be 24 in April and Christine is 21 and will be 22 in March. I also have one grandson who just turned 5. I am divorced from my first husband and got married for the second time almost 2 years ago.
As in my last post to meurtelken, I struggled to lose weight for 5 years until I became afraid that I would end up like my mom and my brother, who both had Type 2. My mom died of diabetes complications, mainly with her heart. And I lost my brother recently to cancer. I've already had cancer, so, I'm doing what I can to prevent myself from getting type 2 diabetes.
I know what you mean by the chemicals in foods. Also, they add High Fructose Corn Syrup to many foods. Sugar is bad enough, but HFCS is worse. That is the main reason I stay away from processed foods. I had a low metabolism being hypothyroid, but I combatted that with exercise and, of course a higher dosage of thyroid hormone.
Thanks for your comment about my pic. Your pic is very nice too. You look so young...just a teenager, I bet. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Actually Richard, there is a Good percentage of overweight People in India. Their incomes have risen, there's urbanization, more desk jobs, globalization(western fastfood/take out, etc. Plus they are unfortunately, as many of us, genetically prone to being overweight/obese.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks Terrie, I did not know that. All the pics on TV of street scenes in India show slender people with small frames.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Roseann:

Good heavens!! You have been through so much and yet you've done so Well. Be proud of yourself. And a pat on the back from us. My sincere condolences on the loss of your Mom and Brother.

I was dxd. with Hypothyroidism in the 1990's by a reputable Endo. My newest Endo who checks every time I get my tests done, said I do not have Hypothyroidism. I told the Nurse who gives me the infusions in my home and she said the same thing happened to her. I thought it was for Life. Evidently not sometimes.

Ugh! Ya, I was going to post something about the High Fructose Corn Syrup. That's one Big reason why People are gaining weight also. It seems to be in so many foods. Some People have to ruin
everything. I'll never understand how they are allowed to put so much junk in our foods and beverages.

I hope that you had a Fun Christmas with your Grandson and Family.

YW! Thank you. That was me as a teenager. Me thinks I'm going to remove it. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Roseann:

Good heavens!! You have been through so much and yet you've done so Well. Be proud of yourself. And a pat on the back from us. My sincere condolences on the loss of your Mom and Brother.

I was dxd. with Hypothyroidism in the 1990's by a reputable Endo. My newest Endo who checks every time I get my tests done, said I do not have Hypothyroidism. I told the Nurse who gives me the infusions in my home and she said the same thing happened to her. I thought it was for Life. Evidently not sometimes.

Ugh! Ya, I was going to post something about the High Fructose Corn Syrup. That's one Big reason why People are gaining weight also. It seems to be in so many foods. Some People have to ruin
everything. I'll never understand how they are allowed to put so much junk in our foods and beverages.

I hope that you had a Fun Christmas with your Grandson and Family.

YW! Thank you. That was me as a teenager. Me thinks I'm going to remove it. ;)
Hi Terrie,
Yeah, I have been through a lot especially in the last 6 years, but I'm still kicking and I refuse to stop...lol Thank you for your condolences.
For me, hypothyroidism is a way of life, because I have no thyroid gland anymore due to cancer. So I take a thyroid hormone pill everyday and I'm fine.
As for High Fructose Corn Syrup, it's disgusting the way it's put into everything. What's even more disgusting is that I just saw a commercial on TV stating how good it is and that it's no different than sugar. In the commercial they refer to a website: The Truth About High Fructose Corn Syrup - HFCS Facts - Home. So now they're touting it as safe? And the AMA approves of it, so that's why it's in everything. They say it's safe and doesn't cause obesity anymore than sugar does. Bottom line is, it's cheaper to use than sugar. The only thing I'd use it for is to make ethanol to run my car...lol
Anyway, we had a great Christmas here. My grandson turned 5 on the 22nd, so he really made out that week..lol My husband and I got him a go cart. We have 5.5 acres of land here, so he just rides all over the property and has the time of his life. They have go cart races in south Jersey for his age group. We're thinking of signing him up..lol On New Year's Eve, my husband took him to NYC to see the big tree, and the decorated windows at Macy's and Saks, etc...then decided to stay to see the ball drop. My daughter Christine decided to join them that evening. I worked till 9pm and wound up by myself...lol It's ok, I could've gone, but didn't want to. They finally came home at 2:30am.
Ok, time for me to stop:) I tend to get long winded in case you haven't noticed. ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts