Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to try eating at the following times:

6:30 am - Breakfast
9:30 am - Snack
12:30 pm - Lunch
3:30 pm - Afternoon snack
6:30 pm - Dinner
9:30 pm - Evening snack

The problem is that it's hard for me to go an hour without "grazing." I can make it to two hours without food but it's extremely hard. Why is this? :(

I'm on disability for schizophrenia so I'm not working at the moment. I have a lot of hobbies that I can do in a quiet environment without messing them up so I shouldn't be bored. But maybe my hobbies are more boring than I think? Maybe it's depression. I'm more depressed since removing junk food. Also, depression is a side effect of Jardiance. Carbs help create serotonin. My doctor said he didn't believe that people self medicated with sugary food but it's in this book I'm reading that some people do that and I think I'm one of them.

·
Administrator
2,396 Posts
My doctor said he didn't believe that people self medicated with sugary food but it's in this book I'm reading that some people do that and I think I'm one of them.
How old is this doctor? :biggrin: People have medicated themselves with sugar for ... what century is this?

Seriously, people eat for lots of reasons beyond needing nutrition. I have read of studies of why people crave certain foods (snacks for the salt, dairy products for the calcium, etc.). Sugar's manipulation of our blood glucose levels -- and the feeling of wanting to eat when our BG dips -- is familiar to many of us.

I also find that when I'm busy I tend to forget to eat. That doesn't usually happen when I'm bored or waiting around for something to happen. Maybe that's happening to you.

It also could be that, in reducing the junk food you eat, you've cut lots of calories out of your diet, so, naturally, you're hungry. Are you bumping up the amount of fat you eat to add the calories junk food is not providing?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is this doctor? :biggrin: People have medicated themselves with sugar for ... what century is this?

Seriously, people eat for lots of reasons beyond needing nutrition. I have read of studies of why people crave certain foods (snacks for the salt, dairy products for the calcium, etc.). Sugar's manipulation of our blood glucose levels -- and the feeling of wanting to eat when our BG dips -- is familiar to many of us.

I also find that when I'm busy I tend to forget to eat. That doesn't usually happen when I'm bored or waiting around for something to happen. Maybe that's happening to you.

It also could be that, in reducing the junk food you eat, you've cut lots of calories out of your diet, so, naturally, you're hungry. Are you bumping up the amount of fat you eat to add the calories junk food is not providing?
The doctor is retiring this year. I think he's 74. He's a big believer in the body trying to maintain its own set point weight. He's even shown me photos of twins separated at birth. He has a point that they all ended up around the same weight.

I've got lots of hobbies but I'm not as interested in them as I once was. I thought about trying new things but everything costs so much. I looked up the difference between boredom and depression and I think I have depression.

I have the nuts and cheese that I eat frequently. (I'll be removing the triscuits after I run out of them).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.