The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I had to go in and get my new drivers license today and my mouth wandered! The lady behind the desk asked me if I cared to be an organ donor and I replied 'No Im a diabetic, dont think they will let me' Oi Vay stuck my foot right into my Big ol Mouth! So then she made me fill out papers saying that my blood sugar is well controlled when I drive! WTH I do however take my Blood Glucose before I drive.....so I dont know what the deal is!! Now is my car insurance gonna go up?? UGH:mad:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Where I live I know they can pull your driver's license if you are an uncontrolled diabetic. I suspect the worse thing that could happen is they require you to get medical clearance from a doctor before they issue you a new license. Seeing as how they didn't ask for one now you are in the clear ... at least for a while.

Linda

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Sheriberi - if you're curious about the organ donation part of it, I remember a few months back, we had a thread that was called "organ donation" (I believe). You may want to search for it, and see what the general consensus of opinions was, on the topic.

On another note, I worked in law enforcement for ten years. I was a 911 operator, while I was going through college and working to pay for college. It was pretty common that we'd get calls about drunk drivers. After they'd get pulled over, the police officer wouldn't detect an odor of alcohol and would then usually (hopefully) figure out that it was a diabetic emergency. It really reinforced the point that if you are not controlled and you're driving, you should really have something in your car saying, "I AM DIABETIC." I know now they even have these seat belt things that latch on, or they suggest you keep something on your passenger seat, so that the police officer immediately knows you're diabetic. (I know you're controlled, I'm just sayin, for anyone whose not.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mary great information. Do they look for a medic alert bracelet at all? I wear one all the time so would they check for one of those also. I am controlled btw but just for my own info.

Linda

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I won't say all police officers do, as some won't. I will say that all medics do, as part of their routine. It was recommended by our local hospitals that you put a small sign in your car saying that you're diabetic or use a medic alert seat belt cover, so that it's more noticeable by all emergency personnel, including police. This could be useful even in cases where it's not your fault, like a car accident caused by another party. Most people I know stick with the bracelet, unless they're not controlled, in which case they resort to the seat belt cover or sign. If you've never seen one, here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I think they're pretty cool. I don't have one but several of my family members who are diabetic do. It can also be used for epileptics, those with heart conditions, etc. Kinda neat, since you just never know. Especially with all the crazy drivers out there!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Great information, Mary. While I'm sure many of us wear alert tags, I doubt anyone but medics much looks for them. I cannot read mine without a magnifying lens anyway and doubt its much more legible to others.

Personally, I most always check glucose before I drive. In any event, my driving is restricted by a much higher authority than insurance or the state. That being, of course, my wife...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts