The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I totally know that everyone is different in their body and its response to food and meds, etc. That being said, I'm wondering where can I find a chart or something with general guidelines for the amount of carbs a diabetic should stay below, based on age/height/weight/gender, that sort of thing? I'm asking because I want to try to help my mom who is in the hospital with out-of-control blood glucose numbers, and the doctors and nurses have no clue and I don't trust that the hospital dietitians will be of much help. They told my mom today she could eat sushi (California rolls) if she wants, not to mention the horrid, high carb meals they have been serving her.

When I had gestational diabetes, I was able to control it with diet alone. (sorry, I know you're getting sick of hearing that already, but that is all I have experience with so far.) I went to a really good nutritionist that taught about carbs, and not using that goofy system the American Diabetes Association was teaching at the time. (I just went to their website and noticed that they have changed things.) that nutritionist had me on carbs of 15 breakfast and each snack, and no more than 30 for lunch and dinner. I was to have snacks midway between each meal and the last one, midway between dinner and bed. She taught me how to use the meter and I did it 4 times every day. I didn't gain much weight, didn't need insulin, and my baby was born healthy.

Last year I went to a different nutritionist, one who worked with my needs-to-retire-endocrinologist. She plugged my height, weight, and age into her computer and told me to eat carbs of 30 breakfast, 40-45 lunch, 40-60 dinner. I asked about snacks and said I used to do 15 carbs when I had the gestational so she said , "ok, do that again"; it didn't sound like she knew. She showed me a fake plate of food at which I laughed hysterically when I saw it. She got offended and asked why I laughed. I told her I didn't think it was a diabetic friendly meal due to the mashed potatoes and carrots. She said potatoes and carrots are very healthy and don't raise blood glucose levels that much. I'm not sure how, much I trust what she told me.

I would go back to the first lady if I could find her, and if the insurance company would allow it. I've used up my once-in-a-lifetime nutritionist benefit. Well maybe I would pay out of pocket for someone I knew I could trust.

Thanks again for answering my questions!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I don't know if there's a formula, because so much depends on the individual.

Dr. Bernstein recommends no more than 6g, 12g and 12g for the main three meals of the day, but many would find that EXTREMELY restrictive.

Personally, because I'm 235lbs and eat close to 3500 calories a day (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on my exercise levels) I find I do best on a maximum of 100g per day, spaced over 6 meals. I have about 20-25g per meal in my first three meals of the day, and about 10-15g per meal in my last three of the day.

Again, I eat close to twice the calories of many on the forum though. If I were a 5'6" woman and followed an 1800 calorie a day diet I'd probably be eating about 50g a day... (Lucky for me, I'm not. :))

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
When I get an "official" telling me eat X carbs for breakfast and Y for lunch and a snack with Z carbs I look at them quietly for a couple of seconds and ask "and then my BG will be? and wait for an answer. finely they say "I dont know everybody is different".
:confused:

I know I found out under 50 carbs a day works for ME sorry if its not in your chart or computer. my A1c is 6.1 I wont get a number like that with your eating plan.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When my husband was first diagnosed, I went online and did some research. It seems that most people who have been diabetic for years and don't believe the stuff the dieticians and doctors are putting out about the number of carbs to eat, seem to pretty much agree that 20 to 60 net carbs per day is the right amount. One person on this forum said they have to stick with 15 or their bs spikes. My husband is on 30 and all is going well.

I don't think it depends on sex, age, height and weight. As you said, everyone is different, so I would think the number of carbs for your mom would depend on how many she can eat and still keep her bs in normal range, so I guess it would pretty much be trial and error.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts