Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

carb count question...

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  onaughmae 
#1 ·
Finally the store by my house started selling Dreamfield pasta and I bought some. Now my question is....on the label it has 41g carb per serving as does pretty much all other pasta. But, then it says it only has 5g digestible carbs. So.....how am I supposed to dose this? I don't want to over bolus and go low...but I don't want to be screaming high either....what would you do?

#2 ·
Pam-I asked the same question awhile back and I really didn't get enough info to make an informed decision. Until I can get to the bottom of this issue, I will just use regular pasta. I even went to the Dreamsfield website and it wasn't much help.

#3 ·
I was afraid of that :( Well...maybe I will try to count half the carbs and see what happens. At worst, I will need a snack and if high, I can always take a correction bolus. At least then I will know :) Nothing more exciting than being a human guinea pig sometimes :)

#4 ·
HI Pam and Breezeonby

The protected carbs are non digestible, meaning you dont digest them, so they dont end up as BGL. HOWEVER Some people eat Dreamfield and have a BGL rise equivalent to ALL the carbs, I am one of those people.

Some say you if you over cook the Dreamfield it will unprotected the protected carbs. I've tryed cooking them all sorts of times and eating Dreamfield is still a dream to me.

#5 ·
That's a big bummer, Chris . . . I've heard a few others say the same as you.

I have to remember to test now & then too, just making sure it doesn't START spiking me after I've been so lucky so far. I do routinely reduce the designated cooking time by two full minutes, regardless of what I'm using it for.

#6 ·
I might try it tommorrow if I dont have to work. I ate wayyy too much junk today and I dont wanna push my luck :)

#9 ·
How was Seaworld? OK, fess up, tell us what did you eat? :D

#8 ·
We had so much fun. I figured out after I had been there a couple of hours though that I needed to set a temp basal rate lower on my pump. We were doing so much walking I was burning off what I was eating too fast. Its a pretty big park and we walked all over a few times. I had a chili cheese hot dog for lunch and only dosed for half the carbs. An hour later I was in the 50's. So I had an ice cream sandwich and just dosed for half of it. Low again in an hour. So I ate some starburst candy and just didnt dose for it. Had barbeque and french fries for dinner...dosed for half of it. Was only in the 60's before we left so I indulged in a half a funnel cake and dosed for half the carbs. Just checked a little while ago and I am sitting at 103 so I guess all that walking around in the heat, not to mention several roller coaster rides keep my blood sugar in check. I even took my pump off for about 2 hours while we were riding the water rides. Good thing too...I got soaked to the bone! This is the first time I have gone someplace like this since getting my pump, so it was interesting to see how I would manage. All in all..it was a good day :)

#12 ·
Sounds like you had a great time!!!! :):)

#13 ·
Yeah we did....thanks everyone :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.