The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many people count carbs? I know I need to watch them, especially certain carbs... but wondering if counting is worth it or not?

Any opinions, advice, etc., always welcome, thanks!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I tried to in the beginning, but when it began to look like I couldn't tolerate very many anyhow, I just stopped eating any except very high fiber, & also stopped counting. Now I only eat the things I know don't spike me - protein & fats, and the handful of high-fiber veggies or "breads" that I know haven't spiked me in the past. (My breads are Earthgrains multi-grain thin buns, Olé Extreme Wellness low-carb/high fiber tortillas, and Ezekiel Sesame sprouted bread, and those only in one-a-day quantities!) I AM logging my foods again after quitting that for awhile, so I can get a total of the day's intake and usually come out with 40g per day or under.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I was thinking of making a log of what I eat in addition to the logging I do for my BG readings. I couldn't tell you how many carbs I eat, I have no idea atm. Most of my carbs are high fiber veggies and the occasional apple though, so I'm not too worried.

I sometimes have one piece of whole grain / sprouted bread ... but not often as it seemed to spike me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I do count carbs... every one of the little buggers. But I only do it for the weight loss/Atkins program I'm on at doctors suggestion. I keep a log that records how much I sleep, how much I weigh every morning, every test result, every bite of food, and my exercise. It sounds like a lot but it's not that big of a deal to jot it all down on a Excel spreadsheet I made up myself - the sheet fits in a pocket of my meter case and one sheet (both sides) holds about 2 weeks of records.

If I didn't need the weight loss, I wouldn't have to count the carbs. I can keep BG under control just avoiding the things that spike me - I wouldn't have to count.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Just wondering how many people count carbs? I know I need to watch them, especially certain carbs... but wondering if counting is worth it or not?

Yep ....every single one...everything I put in my mouth...protein too sometimes, depending on what the make up of my meal is. But then I am an insulin user and I bolus my insulin to cover what I eat. I have to bolus each time I eat something so I need to know whats in it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

I count every carb that I eat. I take rapid acting insulin after my meal, so I have to know how many carbs that I have had. Carb counting is pretty important to me but if you aren't eating that many then maybe you don't need to count carbs.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was carb counting when I was first diagnosed but only carb count now when I eat out. We don't usually eat anything at home that spikes me enough to have to bolus.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i did in the beginning, but not anymore. my daily goal is for zero man-made carbs

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do because I'm type 1, but I wanted to comment that it's probably good practice to start counting carbs now even if you're type 2 and haven't been told to start counting. Most type 2s end up on insulin eventually, and it'll be easier to make the switch if you already have a good grasp on carbs (including things that don't come with a nutrition label).

I didn't become type 1 D until I was 30, so I had to learn it all (carb counting and insulin therapy) at once. Frustrating. I ate almost nothing but packaged food at first!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't started yet... seems like a pain.

It's probably not so bad once you're used to it, I guess. Out of curiosity, do you log it all? Or do you just keep a daily 'running tally' of your carbs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't started yet... seems like a pain.

It's probably not so bad once you're used to it, I guess. Out of curiosity, do you log it all? Or do you just keep a daily 'running tally' of your carbs?
Sometimes I keep a log, like I do right now because I'm pregnant and have been discovering that some foods affect me differently than they used to. But under normal circumstances, no log unless I'm going to the endocrinologist soon (having a log helps her decide on changes to my treatment). Not even a "tally for the day," actually. It's more a "tally for each meal." The idea is to figure out how many carbs are in the food I'm about to eat so I know how much insulin I need to take. I also have a ballpark figure for the number of carbs I prefer to eat in a sitting. (About 30 per meal works really well for me, and 80 is my absolute max when I'm going to indulge a little. More than that, and my blood sugar does crazy stuff even if I take the right dose of insulin.)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I kept an extensive log of everything I ate for the first 6 months of this disease. Then I think I suffered a little burnout. Right now I just count carbs based on the meal because I have to eat enough to cover the insulin or obviously I can reduce the insulin to match the carbs. This keeps my total carb count below 75 grams per day and that is all the carb counting I do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've counted all my life, from 5 years old, so it's easy for me. I used to weigh everything but you get to know how to estimate visually. When I started treatment in 1962, the only measure of control was by urine testing so the extra discipline of carb counting was essential. Now at 54 yo, I still use it to estimate my bolus insulin (lispro). But carbs are classified low to high GI and this makes a difference to the dose, too, as people in this thread imply by sticking to unrefined foods to reduce spiking. I find I have to increase my high GI carbs if I go to the gym, as well as reduce my bolus dose. My HbA1c is usually around the 6.2% mark and have no significant complications. My weight is in the ideal range for my height, too (BMI=23). Counting works for me.

Meds: lispro (bolus) and glargine (basal)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Steve! Thank you for joining us. I hope you'll be visiting often & sharing your experience with us. :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It is always nice to have new experienced faces show up. I hope you come back often.
I couldn't tell you whether a food was high or low gi, just the carb count. I have never used the gi as a tool. Maybe I should...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts