The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

I am a big carb counter, I especially prefer carb factors. It makes it so easy to just weigh your food and know exactly how many carbs are in it. Anyways, I seem to be hitting a ratio of about 1 unit of insulin to 15 grams of carbs. My endo says thats normal for a diabetic. Considering that I was only diagnosed a few months ago, do you guys think this means my honeymoon period is over? What is a normal ratio for a type 1 with no beta cell function left?

also. what do you guys think of they glycemic index? some people told me its a bit complicated so I've been afraid to look. Any experiences?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The insulin to carb ratio is totally individualized to the person. It can flucuate immensely from diabetic to diabetic. Mine even flucuates during the day from 1 to 4 or 5 in the morning to almost 1 to 1 in the evening.
There is no way to know if your honeymoon is over without testing and seeing how your numbers change from day to day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The insulin to carb ratio is totally individualized to the person. It can flucuate immensely from diabetic to diabetic. Mine even flucuates during the day from 1 to 4 or 5 in the morning to almost 1 to 1 in the evening.
There is no way to know if your honeymoon is over without testing and seeing how your numbers change from day to day.
wait! are you telling me that you take 1 unit of insulin per 1 gram of carbs in evening? or do you mean 1 unit of carbs (15 grams)? If so 1 to 4 or 5 (60g) sounds pretttty good. If the other way, sounds very sad :(

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
wait! are you telling me that you take 1 unit of insulin per 1 gram of carbs in evening? or do you mean 1 unit of carbs (15 grams)? If so 1 to 4 or 5 (60g) sounds pretttty good. If the other way, sounds very sad :(
I use 1 unit of insulin per 5 gram of carb. I know diabetics with insulin resistance that do require 1:1 insulin. A 1:15 ratio is very good. It very different for each person...there is no right number.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I cannot answer your question about the insulin:carb ratio for a T1D with no insulin production. I am a T1 with insulin resistance, so I need more insulin for that reason. My ratio is 1:4 for breakfast, and 1:7 the rest of the day. My average total insulin used for a day is 38 units (basal + bolus).

The Glycemic Index is very useful, it has helped me a lot. Here is a link:

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/1909-glycemic-index.html

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
In the evening if I try to eat 15 grams of carbs for dinner. This requires a bolus of 14 units of insulin. At breakfast I eat 15 grams of carbs and this requires a bolus of 3 to 4 units of insulin.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the evening if I try to eat 15 grams of carbs for dinner. This requires a bolus of 14 units of insulin. At breakfast I eat 15 grams of carbs and this requires a bolus of 3 to 4 units of insulin.
Not to go on and on, but I noticed you were diagnosed less than a year ago. Is there a reason you need so much insulin? Also how do you survive on so little carbs. I know its important to cut them out but carbs are still basis of energy, no?

Is there any reason people become insulin resistant? Is it inevitable? Is there anything we can do?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Carbs are absolutely necessary for our good health, all people need them! Diabetics do too!! Too many carbs is unhealthy and cause high blood sugar. Many diabetics have less than 100 carbs per day and are very healthy. I have cut my car intake to 130-150 per day. That keeps me from gaining weight.

Weight gain is the most likely cause of insulin resistance, but there are occasionally other causes too. I gained enough weight in the 1990s to cause my insulin resistance. A type 1 with insulin resistance is called a "double diabetic". I have to take a type 2 med along with my insulin, but I am very healthy.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Not to go on and on, but I noticed you were diagnosed less than a year ago. Is there a reason you need so much insulin? Also how do you survive on so little carbs. I know its important to cut them out but carbs are still basis of energy, no?

Is there any reason people become insulin resistant? Is it inevitable? Is there anything we can do?
I eat around 75-90 grams of carbs per day and I am extremely healthy. There are people on this board that eat less than me.
As to why I need "so much" insulin, it is what my meter dictates. When I eat and bolus, I test to see how it worked. This is the carb ratio that my body works with. It is highly individualized, as I've tried to communicate earlier. There is no particular formula that tells you what's right and what's wrong. There are some people who require more and some who require very little.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts