The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I cannot answer your question about the insulin:carb ratio for a T1D with no insulin production. I am a T1 with insulin resistance, so I need more insulin for that reason. My ratio is 1:4 for breakfast, and 1:7 the rest of the day. My average total insulin used for a day is 38 units (basal + bolus).

The Glycemic Index is very useful, it has helped me a lot. Here is a link:

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/1909-glycemic-index.html

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Carbs are absolutely necessary for our good health, all people need them! Diabetics do too!! Too many carbs is unhealthy and cause high blood sugar. Many diabetics have less than 100 carbs per day and are very healthy. I have cut my car intake to 130-150 per day. That keeps me from gaining weight.

Weight gain is the most likely cause of insulin resistance, but there are occasionally other causes too. I gained enough weight in the 1990s to cause my insulin resistance. A type 1 with insulin resistance is called a "double diabetic". I have to take a type 2 med along with my insulin, but I am very healthy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.