The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

I am a big carb counter, I especially prefer carb factors. It makes it so easy to just weigh your food and know exactly how many carbs are in it. Anyways, I seem to be hitting a ratio of about 1 unit of insulin to 15 grams of carbs. My endo says thats normal for a diabetic. Considering that I was only diagnosed a few months ago, do you guys think this means my honeymoon period is over? What is a normal ratio for a type 1 with no beta cell function left?

also. what do you guys think of they glycemic index? some people told me its a bit complicated so I've been afraid to look. Any experiences?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The insulin to carb ratio is totally individualized to the person. It can flucuate immensely from diabetic to diabetic. Mine even flucuates during the day from 1 to 4 or 5 in the morning to almost 1 to 1 in the evening.
There is no way to know if your honeymoon is over without testing and seeing how your numbers change from day to day.
wait! are you telling me that you take 1 unit of insulin per 1 gram of carbs in evening? or do you mean 1 unit of carbs (15 grams)? If so 1 to 4 or 5 (60g) sounds pretttty good. If the other way, sounds very sad :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the evening if I try to eat 15 grams of carbs for dinner. This requires a bolus of 14 units of insulin. At breakfast I eat 15 grams of carbs and this requires a bolus of 3 to 4 units of insulin.
Not to go on and on, but I noticed you were diagnosed less than a year ago. Is there a reason you need so much insulin? Also how do you survive on so little carbs. I know its important to cut them out but carbs are still basis of energy, no?

Is there any reason people become insulin resistant? Is it inevitable? Is there anything we can do?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.