The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine seems to be a 3 lately. It has been a 7 for a long time. Does yours vary or is it stable? Really makes the injection difficult.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Mine seems to be a 3 lately. It has been a 7 for a long time. Does yours vary or is it stable? Really makes the injection difficult.

Mine varies terribly anymore. It seems like at lunch (when Levemir is still working) it is about 7, but at dinner it is about 3 or 4!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed my ratio is more affected when I take Metformin, I use 7 with Metformin. 3 without.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
What are you guys talking about with carbs/ratio? I'm trying to figure this thing out as I'm on Levemir (taking 28 units in AM) and Humulog (between 10 and 15 units depending on number before meal). I'm not sure how long the Levemir is acting or when it hits its peak, and I'm not sure that the Humulog is working everytime! I'm so confused with the insulin! Low carbing for sure and eating high fat. Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
carb insulin ratio is the number of carbs that is reduced by 1 unit of insulin. If my meal is 49 carbs I need to take 7 units of insulin to equalize this in MY ratio is 7. If it is 3 you would have totake 16 units. It changes and for me a guessing game. Tonight I guessed wrong so I just took additional units.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Taking 4 units for 15 grams of carb (so, a little under 1u:4g) usually works for me. Except when it doesn't. Then, I take a corrective dose.

I usually don't bolus for 8 grams or less, unless my levels have been haywire. But if there's any discernible carb other than leafy greens, I do test afterward.

Like all else diabetic, everyone's ratio is different and can change, perhaps for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
633 Posts
What are you guys talking about with carbs/ratio? I'm trying to figure this thing out as I'm on Levemir (taking 28 units in AM) and Humulog (between 10 and 15 units depending on number before meal). I'm not sure how long the Levemir is acting or when it hits its peak, and I'm not sure that the Humulog is working everytime! I'm so confused with the insulin! Low carbing for sure and eating high fat. Any information would be appreciated.
On fast acting it is a good practice to match how much you take to the amount of carbs you eat. If you want it to work better reduce your fat intake and just worrie about the carbs.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Could you please explain whar you mean about reducing fat intake and just worry about the carbs?
I`ve been told to keep my carbs down ( I eat between 40 and 50 each day), and since I eat under 72 carbs each day, I need to eat lots of fat to get my energy.
Isn`t this the right way to do it?

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Could you please explain whar you mean about reducing fat intake and just worry about the carbs?
I`ve been told to keep my carbs down ( I eat between 40 and 50 each day), and since I eat under 72 carbs each day, I need to eat lots of fat to get my energy.
Our reactions to fats, proteins and carbs vary over a wide range. My own fat intake's caused no problems, likely because fats are rich enough that I tend not to overeat them, and they don't hike my glucose. So I eat 'em, and don't count 'em. (I stay away from the processed, hydrogenated shhhhh...tuff, however.)

Seems to me, the best things we can do are:

-- "Eat to our meters" -- test the way "new" foods affect our glucose levels. Our meters point each of us to our own, unique regimen . Well-controlled diabetics follow a vast range of meds/no-meds and diets.

-- Make sure we neither starve nor overstuff ourselves. Relentless hungry feelings are a sign that something's out of whack.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Optimist what do you eat for 72 per day. I try eating the same thing every day but an still higher than that.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Do you use a carb counter, Racko? Get hold of CalorieKing or any good index & you can find the carb content of just about anything edible! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes I have a carb counter but if you ate 3 salads a day thats about 60 and well I need more than that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Fats in your diet will inhibit the insulin that you inject from doing its job prperly. It will either inhibit the absorbtion of carbs and then when you need that insulin it will no longer be active, or it will just impeed the insulin recepters in cells once it enters the blood stream and makes the insulin work much slower. Thats why foods like pizza cause those 4 hour spikes, it is the fat slowing everthing down.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Adjitater

You seem wiser than most. :D

ColaJim

Fats in your diet will inhibit the insulin that you inject from doing its job prperly. It will either inhibit the absorbtion of carbs and then when you need that insulin it will no longer be active, or it will just impeed the insulin recepters in cells once it enters the blood stream and makes the insulin work much slower. Thats why foods like pizza cause those 4 hour spikes, it is the fat slowing everthing down.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thats really interesting!
Then maybe it`s the fat I`m consuming that nowadays make my insuline wont work as it should?
It kicks in way to late and doesn`t work long enough. This gives me one or two peaks between 9 and 11 each day and I also drops quick down to around 4, sometimes all the way to 2,3 (and them I`m not feeling well at all:rolleyes:)

I`ll see on my menu and see how I can reduce fat. But then I need to increase my carbs a little, I think.
Thanks for explaining it to me!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Optimist what do you eat for 72 per day. I try eating the same thing every day but an still higher than that.
Hello!
I eats lots of good food!
For breakfast I usually makes omelette of 3 eggs, 1 springonion, a couple of slices of paprika, 50 gram of boiled ham and a spoon of cream. This gives me between 2,5 and 3 carbs totally.
For lunch we makes cottage chees vaffels. Each vaffel gives me 6,5 carbs. I eat two or three, but I also eats 50-100 gram of strawberry (smashed but not added anything). The lunch gives me between 16,5 carbs and 26,3 carbs.
For dinner I eat fish or meat, sauce made of creme, creme fraiche or sour cream and all kind of vegetavles grown over the earth. I dont eat potatoes, rice or pasta. My dinner is usually about 10 carbs, but it varies a little which vegetables I choose.
I bake cakes once a week, and a pice of those is between 10 and 15 carbs. I also makes ice cream and other deserts some times, but always low on carbs.
My evening meal varies a lot. Sometimes I just eat boiled egg wrapped in ham and lots of mayonnaise, other times I eat a really tasty chickensalad I make myself or maybe leftovers? Between 0 and 5 carbs usually, if I not choose to eat bread or crackers. I always make my own bread and crackers, really tasty too.
The crackers I makes is just 0,5 carbs each. My proteine bread is 2,3 carbs each slize. If I choose to eat them, I always use real butter and puts on things with little or none carbs.
For TV-snacks I eat 8 Brazil nuts and a fruit, usually a kiwi. Sometimes I fry pieces of chesse as snacks or I fry some pumpkin seeds.
I have always some boiled eggs, a tasty salad and some meat ready to eat if I need a little meal between.
My houseband eats more than me, and he also eats more fruits and some sweets. He eats about 80 to 100 carbs a day.

My youngest son (21 years old) told his friends he was a lucky man since his mum got diabetes, because he gets so much good food!

Reactions: moon

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My youngest son (21 years old) told his friends he was a lucky man since his mum got diabetes, because he gets so much good food!
I love this!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts