Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

carb/ insulin ratio what is yours?

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  racko 
#1 ·
Mine seems to be a 3 lately. It has been a 7 for a long time. Does yours vary or is it stable? Really makes the injection difficult.

#5 ·
What are you guys talking about with carbs/ratio? I'm trying to figure this thing out as I'm on Levemir (taking 28 units in AM) and Humulog (between 10 and 15 units depending on number before meal). I'm not sure how long the Levemir is acting or when it hits its peak, and I'm not sure that the Humulog is working everytime! I'm so confused with the insulin! Low carbing for sure and eating high fat. Any information would be appreciated.

#7 ·
Taking 4 units for 15 grams of carb (so, a little under 1u:4g) usually works for me. Except when it doesn't. Then, I take a corrective dose.

I usually don't bolus for 8 grams or less, unless my levels have been haywire. But if there's any discernible carb other than leafy greens, I do test afterward.

Like all else diabetic, everyone's ratio is different and can change, perhaps for no apparent reason.

#9 ·
Could you please explain whar you mean about reducing fat intake and just worry about the carbs?
I`ve been told to keep my carbs down ( I eat between 40 and 50 each day), and since I eat under 72 carbs each day, I need to eat lots of fat to get my energy.
Isn`t this the right way to do it?

Reactions: Shanny
#10 ·
Our reactions to fats, proteins and carbs vary over a wide range. My own fat intake's caused no problems, likely because fats are rich enough that I tend not to overeat them, and they don't hike my glucose. So I eat 'em, and don't count 'em. (I stay away from the processed, hydrogenated shhhhh...tuff, however.)

Seems to me, the best things we can do are:

-- "Eat to our meters" -- test the way "new" foods affect our glucose levels. Our meters point each of us to our own, unique regimen . Well-controlled diabetics follow a vast range of meds/no-meds and diets.

-- Make sure we neither starve nor overstuff ourselves. Relentless hungry feelings are a sign that something's out of whack.

#19 ·
Hello!
I eats lots of good food!
For breakfast I usually makes omelette of 3 eggs, 1 springonion, a couple of slices of paprika, 50 gram of boiled ham and a spoon of cream. This gives me between 2,5 and 3 carbs totally.
For lunch we makes cottage chees vaffels. Each vaffel gives me 6,5 carbs. I eat two or three, but I also eats 50-100 gram of strawberry (smashed but not added anything). The lunch gives me between 16,5 carbs and 26,3 carbs.
For dinner I eat fish or meat, sauce made of creme, creme fraiche or sour cream and all kind of vegetavles grown over the earth. I dont eat potatoes, rice or pasta. My dinner is usually about 10 carbs, but it varies a little which vegetables I choose.
I bake cakes once a week, and a pice of those is between 10 and 15 carbs. I also makes ice cream and other deserts some times, but always low on carbs.
My evening meal varies a lot. Sometimes I just eat boiled egg wrapped in ham and lots of mayonnaise, other times I eat a really tasty chickensalad I make myself or maybe leftovers? Between 0 and 5 carbs usually, if I not choose to eat bread or crackers. I always make my own bread and crackers, really tasty too.
The crackers I makes is just 0,5 carbs each. My proteine bread is 2,3 carbs each slize. If I choose to eat them, I always use real butter and puts on things with little or none carbs.
For TV-snacks I eat 8 Brazil nuts and a fruit, usually a kiwi. Sometimes I fry pieces of chesse as snacks or I fry some pumpkin seeds.
I have always some boiled eggs, a tasty salad and some meat ready to eat if I need a little meal between.
My houseband eats more than me, and he also eats more fruits and some sweets. He eats about 80 to 100 carbs a day.

My youngest son (21 years old) told his friends he was a lucky man since his mum got diabetes, because he gets so much good food!

Reactions: moon
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.