The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting into this carb thing and how much Novolog I need to keep my BG tight after each meal.

So far, I'm doing OK, but, I wondered if anyone of you have some kind of actual chart of how much Novolog to take according to your expected carb intake at meal time/

I'd appreciate getting some responses so I can stop guessing, although I seem to be guessing correctly thus far!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Paul. Insulin to carb ratio is quite individualized. It can also be different at different times of day for a person. Some use 1 unit of insulin to cover 10 grams of carb, some might use 1 for 15, and still another might use 1 unit for 5 grams of carb.

It's pretty easy to set this: Try starting with 1 unit of insulin for every 10 grams of carb. If your blood sugar is higher than your target range at 5 hours after your first bite of food, you can try adjusting it next time to, say, 1 unit for every 8 grams of carb. If your BG is too low at the 5 hour mark, try 1 unit for 12 grams of carb. Keep testing and adjusting until you can reliably get back to your target range within 4 to 5 hours.

Have you read Think Like a Pancreas? Gary Scheiner does a great job helping you determine your insulin to carb ration.

Jen

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm getting into this carb thing and how much Novolog I need to keep my BG tight after each meal.

So far, I'm doing OK, but, I wondered if anyone of you have some kind of actual chart of how much Novolog to take according to your expected carb intake at meal time/

I'd appreciate getting some responses so I can stop guessing, although I seem to be guessing correctly thus far!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul
You can use the 500 Rule. To estimate your carb factor, divide 500 by your current TDD (total daily dose). For example, your total daily dose is 25 units-500 divided by 25=20, or a 1 unit carb bolus will cover about 20 grams of carbs. You will need to do some testing to see how well you are covering your carbs. Start out a little high and then come down. As Jen mentioned, your carb factor can be vary depending on the time of the day. Just trial and error will get you close and you will become more confident in injecting without the fear of going low.

Reactions: rnr1

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha!

You can use the 500 Rule. To estimate your carb factor, divide 500 by your current TDD (total daily dose). For example, your total daily dose is 25 units-500 divided by 25=20, or a 1 unit carb bolus will cover about 20 grams of carbs. You will need to do some testing to see how well you are covering your carbs. Start out a little high and then come down. As Jen mentioned, your carb factor can be vary depending on the time of the day. Just trial and error will get you close and you will become more confident in injecting without the fear of going low.
Thanks to both of you [Jen, too]. You have provided me with a good starting point.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Let us know how you are doing with this :) As they have already told you...it is highly individualized what your ratio will be. I am generally 1:5 when covering my carbs, but I am pretty resistant. I am 1:10 for corrections. I got to those numbers by testing around meals and such until I found what worked. I also highly recommend Think Like a Pancreas it really helped me understand a lot about using insulin.

Reactions: rnr1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts