The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Kind of off topic here, but the question of whether the cream I use has hidden carbs has perplexed me. (The link led to an example of hidden carbs in heavy whipping cream, which is what raised the question again in my mind.)

I know most brands of cream do have hidden carbs, especially if the cream has had carrageenan added to it. But I get my whole cream straight from a local dairy, nothing added but it has been pasteurized. The label says 50 calories per single tablespoon, with 6 total grams of fat, 0 carbs and less than 1 gram of protein per serving. Nothing adds up quite right, so I remain perplexed.

This, more than anything, exemplifies to me the margin of error in food labels.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Kind of off topic here, but the question of whether the cream I use has hidden carbs has perplexed me. (The link led to an example of hidden carbs in heavy whipping cream, which is what raised the question again in my mind.) I know most brands of cream do have hidden carbs, especially if the cream has had carrageenan added to it. But I get my whole cream straight from a local dairy, nothing added but it has been pasteurized. The label says 50 calories per single tablespoon, with 6 total grams of fat, 0 carbs and less than 1 gram of protein per serving. Nothing adds up quite right, so I remain perplexed. This, more than anything, exemplifies to me the margin of error in food labels.
It does add up. 9 times 6 is 54, rounded to 50. The other macros add little to a serving so they ignore them in totals

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
The trick is that the FDA allows the manufacturer to round down. So for small servings, like a tbsp of cream, the real value of 0.49 can be reported on the label as 0. Even pure cream has carbohydrates, it's trace amounts from the milk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts