The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping that someone can clear something up with me about carbs and fiber. When I was diagnosed, The dietitian said to take half of the fiber off the carbs. This is also the person that told me to eat a whopping 18 carb choices a day! That was dead wrong. I have also read that you can subtract all of the fiber. In any event I have been using LaTortilla Factory high fiber tortillas in place of bread. There are 18g carbs and 12g fiber. The other night I had 2 fajitas with them and numbers were 95 before and 100 after meal. So Looks like the tortillas are for real! I also make tuna wraps and chicken salad wraps with them for lunches at work.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I am hoping that someone can clear something up with me about carbs and fiber. When I was diagnosed, The dietitian said to take half of the fiber off the carbs. This is also the person that told me to eat a whopping 18 carb choices a day! That was dead wrong. I have also read that you can subtract all of the fiber. In any event I have been using LaTortilla Factory high fiber tortillas in place of bread. There are 18g carbs and 12g fiber. The other night I had 2 fajitas with them and numbers were 95 before and 100 after meal. So Looks like the tortillas are for real! I also make tuna wraps and chicken salad wraps with them for lunches at work.
You and me too, Spud! Low-carb high-fiber tortillas make me feel like a normal person! heheh! :D I even take 'em to Arby's with me & roll up the roast beef - ditch the bun! Still drizzle a little Arby & Horsey Sauce too & it's a terrific wrap!

Today at the store I found some wee cocktail croissants at 10g carbs each, so am testing to see how they set with my meter - sure do make a nice little sandwich.

As for deducting the fiber . . . I've always deducted all of it, since supposedly it isn't readily digestible.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You and me too, Spud! Low-carb high-fiber tortillas make me feel like a normal person! heheh! :D I even take 'em to Arby's with me & roll up the roast beef - ditch the bun! Still drizzle a little Arby & Horsey Sauce too & it's a terrific wrap!

Today at the store I found some wee cocktail croissants at 10g carbs each, so am testing to see how they set with my meter - sure do make a nice little sandwich.

As for deducting the fiber . . . I've always deducted all of it, since supposedly it isn't readily digestible.
That's a great idea! Please do tell about the wee croissants! What brand are they?

·
Registered
165 Posts
you just made me so happy! I love fajitas/wraps/burritos but tortillas do not like me. I will have to find these tortillas and see if they work for me. thanx

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I deduct all of the fiber but some people who inject insulin may count it different depending on how it spikes them. I find things that have added flax rarely raise my bgs.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That's a great idea! Please do tell about the wee croissants! What brand are they?
The only details I can find on the box is Cafe Valley Bakery in Phoenix AZ. They're just ordinary butter croissants - but cocktail size. I ate two of 'em, and clocked 106 a couple hours later. Forgot to test any sooner . . . :(

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't deduct any of the fiber. Fiber does not make carbs go away it just slows the absortion of them just like the fat does. So rather than eliminating them or subtracting them from the carbs it changes the way I dose to cover them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you just made me so happy! I love fajitas/wraps/burritos but tortillas do not like me. I will have to find these tortillas and see if they work for me. thanx
Joe, I bought them at Costco. Our Wal-Mart has that brand but not the high fiber. The others were 23g carbs and 10 fiber I believe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts