Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Carbs in dairy products

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  div2live 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I just added a fruit smoothie to my morning breakfast - ten strawberries (1 cup) and 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt. The yogurt label says 1 cup has 13 carbs (11 g sugar). I recently saw a youtube video where a dietitian says that diabetics should not count the carbs in whole milk because they are naturally occurring sugars. Does anyone here agree with that statement, that milk sugars don't affect your bg and shouldn't count them?

#4 ·
The yogurt I eat is only 6 grams per serving, don't remember serving size off hand. It is a greek yogurt and didn't taste as good as sour cream, so I used Daytona's Keto Yogurt conversion to make it more palatable to me. That added a couple of more carbs to it. I've finally found the 5% fat one so I don't have to add HWC to increase the fat content, so less carbs too.

Just see what your meter says before and after eating your yogurt and berries. If you are happy with the numbers it tells you, then you're good.

#6 ·
I had a bag of cheese curds yesterday and checked out the nutrition label and it reported 1 g of carbs so I munched on them all afternoon and my BG only varied by a couple of points well within the normal range. So I suspect some dairy products are negligible if sugar isn't added, fruit isn't added etc.
But yes all carbs should be counted. I still remember a session I had with a nutritionist about 10 years ago - I ate low carb then and my nutritional intake was determined by what effects food had on my BG testing results. When I went to see the nutritionist and saw what I was eating she freaked out - are you trying to kill yourself - your brain won't function with such low carb intake - she even suggested I start eating bagels - well that was 10 years ago, I'm still healthy and I have never went back to the Diabetes Education Center to talk to a non diabetic nutritionist who knows nothing about my reality.
Oh Oh - I'm starting to rant - I'll end it here - question everything a health professional tells you - some of it will likely be good advice but I suspect you will also get your fair share of bad advice too.

#7 ·
she even suggested I start eating bagels - well that was 10 years ago, I'm still healthy and I have never went back to the Diabetes Education Center to talk to a non diabetic nutritionist who knows nothing about my reality.
I even got that dismissive nonsense from the "educator" I was assigned and she is T2! :surprise:

Someday the idea of stuffing carbs into the human body will seem as archaic as attaching leeches to cure illnesses.

#9 ·
Moosha...as others have suggested the 'milk sugar' in most milk products can be to much for most diabetics. BUT, if you were to add heavy whipping cream (HWC) to that recipe you would avoid adding any significant carbs. But for me I can only tolerate 3-4 strawberries or maybe 1/2 cup of blueberries as like most fruits, the sugar content blow up my blood sugar.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.