The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don t know what are bad carbs and what is good carbs.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi That depends on how carb sensitive you are.
There is no such thing as a bad carb

carbs in veggies have good stuff with the carbs. carbs in sugar are just carbs.

ALL carbs raise BG, potatoes raise BG more than the same amount of table sugar.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
i don t know what are bad carbs and what is good carbs.
A carbohydrate is a carbohydrate...whether it is found in fruit, grains, etc. All carbohydrates raise you blood sugar. Some carbs raise it more than others. When we talk about "good and bad" carbs...we are generally talking about what kind of carbs raise your sugar higher and faster. The simple, processed carbs, such as white rice, white pasta, white bread, white potatoes are going to raise your blood sugar higher and faster. More complex carbs....whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc are still going to raise your blood sugar, but they are going to do it more slowly and not as high usually.

The best way to tell what carbohydrates are easier for *you* to eat is to test your blood sugar around them. We all seem to be different. For instance, I have a terrible time eating watermelon...I finally have learned to just not eat it. On the other hand...I have eaten so many fresh cherries the last 2 days I am starting to look like one! And my blood sugar has been fine.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A carbohydrate is a carbohydrate...whether it is found in fruit, grains, etc. All carbohydrates raise you blood sugar. Some carbs raise it more than others. When we talk about "good and bad" carbs...we are generally talking about what kind of carbs raise your sugar higher and faster. The simple, processed carbs, such as white rice, white pasta, white bread, white potatoes are going to raise your blood sugar higher and faster. More complex carbs....whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc are still going to raise your blood sugar, but they are going to do it more slowly and not as high usually.

The best way to tell what carbohydrates are easier for *you* to eat is to test your blood sugar around them. We all seem to be different. For instance, I have a terrible time eating watermelon...I finally have learned to just not eat it. On the other hand...I have eaten so many fresh cherries the last 2 days I am starting to look like one! And my blood sugar has been fine.
i thank you very much diabetes is a learning thing.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
My initial response is "only good carbs are DEAD carbs!"

But seriously, we are ALL DIFFERENT. In my case, I think I am a suuper-starch-splitter, I have a lot of amylase and digest "slow carbs" quite rapidly, so even with supposedly low-GI carbs, I spike like crazy. You may be able to handle things I cannot -- some people really surprise me with their carb tolerance!

The only way to know is to eat and test.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i thank you all forthe help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts