The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many carbs do you eat in a day? I eat about 75, is that to many? Thanks for taking the time to answer. I am glad for the wealth of knowledge here.

·
Registered
609 Posts
How many carbs do you eat in a day? I eat about 75, is that to many? Thanks for taking the time to answer. I am glad for the wealth of knowledge here.
Red, everyone has their own customized carb count. For me, I stick to between 20-30 per day, which can be difficult if you're a former foodie like me, but it beats seeing high numbers on your meter. If you're a new diabetic I would say go as low as you can and then once your numbers develop a pattern with what you're eating, try adding a few more in. :)

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I don't think there is an answer to this - everyone is different. I eat about 50/day, but it's not set in stone. In time I might find out I can eat more - or need to eat fewer - my meter will be my guide.

Most relevant is what I want to accomplish. My goal is to have my fbg consistently in the 80's, 2 hours after meals mostly <100, and not to keep increasing medication. The later will be only if and when I completely exhaust diet and exercise control.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
261 Posts
This may sound weird but here goes.......
I'm noticing with my own levels that carbs don't have a huge effect on me. Meaning I don't really spike that much and don't need much if any insulin to cover them (unless I eat a ton of them at one setting which I don't normally do).
Table sugars on the other hand is what spikes me or a real big meal which I don't do much of either. This goes against my Endo's recommendations of how much fast acting insulin vs. carbs ingested theory. I tried to explain this to her last appt. but forgot to take my logs in to show her. Next appt. is Wednesday and I'm ready for her. I've been keeping an extensive log and will be ready to shut her down when she starts with the "I'm just the Dr. what do I know" speech.
Any theorys on whats going on with me? Do other type 1's find this to be the case as well?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The number to watch is what your meter says. It will tell you if you're eating too many carbs. When your meter measures under 130-140 (7.2-7.7) at any and all times, then you're eating the right amount for you personally.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'm a 'meter reader' also. During the last 10 months or so, I've brought my weight down to 140, which was my goal and my A1C down from 6.9 to 5.2 on about 20 carbs a day and now am eating a few more most days to see what my meter will let me eat to not gain weight and keep good #'s on it. It seems it's a variable, so you'll have to see what works for you as an individual. I'm on no meds for it yet, and would love to stay that way, but only time will tell if that will work for me or not.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My half English muffin in the morning is spiking me up to a 150 after 2 hours, and about a 125 if I walk 30 minutes in between. Starting tomorrow I'm going to try 1/4 muffin and see if that's any better, going from 13 carbs down to 6.5.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
"Eating to your meter" is the way to go. As said above that means testing 2 hours after meals and adjusting portion of carbs downward until you meet your goals. The ADA says 140-180 after meals. Many other organizations say 120-140 after meals. Personally I try to keep my bgs below 110. It also depends on the medications or insulins you are on. Many diabetics on Insulin are able to eat a little higher carb diet than a type 2 on no meds or just metformin. Personally I eat about 40 -50 carbs a day because I have lost all my weight and am in a maintenance stage now and my fasting are usually 80-95 most days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a 'meter reader' also. During the last 10 months or so, I've brought my weight down to 140, which was my goal and my A1C down from 6.9 to 5.2 on about 20 carbs a day and now am eating a few more most days to see what my meter will let me eat to not gain weight and keep good #'s on it. It seems it's a variable, so you'll have to see what works for you as an individual. I'm on no meds for it yet, and would love to stay that way, but only time will tell if that will work for me or not.
How did you loose weight, I am desperately trying to get my weight down. And what do you eat in a typical day of just 20 carbs? Thanks for your answer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Red, everyone has their own customized carb count. For me, I stick to between 20-30 per day, which can be difficult if you're a former foodie like me, but it beats seeing high numbers on your meter. If you're a new diabetic I would say go as low as you can and then once your numbers develop a pattern with what you're eating, try adding a few more in. :)
What can I eat for just 20 carbs a day? I am not a big meat eater. Thanks for your answer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Eating to your meter" is the way to go. As said above that means testing 2 hours after meals and adjusting portion of carbs downward until you meet your goals. The ADA says 140-180 after meals. Many other organizations say 120-140 after meals. Personally I try to keep my bgs below 110. It also depends on the medications or insulins you are on. Many diabetics on Insulin are able to eat a little higher carb diet than a type 2 on no meds or just metformin. Personally I eat about 40 -50 carbs a day because I have lost all my weight and am in a maintenance stage now and my fasting are usually 80-95 most days.
Good for you on the weight loss. I need to lose 40 pounds,how do I do this. Thank you for your answer.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What can I eat for just 20 carbs a day? I am not a big meat eater. Thanks for your answer.
Red, you may have to learn to like meat, or else stick to a vegetarian diet, which actually will ADD carbs to your eating, since things like tofu and other stuff are not animal based and contain more carbs than you should have. I was once vegan and it's emotionally not fun for me to eat meat, but I have to look at it as the thing that's keeping me alive.

An example of my own diet is:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 sausage or bacon, 1/4 English muffin (6.5 carbs), pancakes made with whey protein/almond flour and sugar-free syrup (maybe 7 carbs)

Lunch: salad w/ chicken strips, cheeseburgers without buns, salad with veggies (all minimal carbs, maybe 10)

Dinner: veggies like broccoli and asparagus, fish, chicken, beef (all minimal carbs, maybe 10)

Snacks: string cheese, slim jims, deviled eggs, celery w/ cream cheese, deli turkey (Boar's Head, according to Eric),

Desserts: sugar free pudding made w/ cream (appr. 5 carbs), cheesecake tartlets (cream cheese, egg, sweetener, unsweetened cocoa - maybe 2 carbs), sugar free pumpkin pie filling w/ cream, sweetener, spices (maybe 3 carbs).

I also make my own lemonade with lemon juice (actual lemons spike me) and Truvia sweetener.

There's lots more that I'm still learning about, but it CAN be done. I lost 10 pounds in the last 6 weeks eating this way. :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
How did you loose weight, I am desperately trying to get my weight down. And what do you eat in a typical day of just 20 carbs? Thanks for your answer.
Red, you also need to get rid of things like salad dressing and sauces because they all have carbs. I now use only vinegar on my salads and make my own marinade with butter, water, lemon juice, and minced garlic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Red, you may have to learn to like meat, or else stick to a vegetarian diet, which actually will ADD carbs to your eating, since things like tofu and other stuff are not animal based and contain more carbs than you should have. I was once vegan and it's emotionally not fun for me to eat meat, but I have to look at it as the thing that's keeping me alive.

An example of my own diet is:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 sausage or bacon, 1/4 English muffin (6.5 carbs), pancakes made with whey protein/almond flour and sugar-free syrup (maybe 7 carbs)

Lunch: salad w/ chicken strips, cheeseburgers without buns, salad with veggies (all minimal carbs, maybe 10)

Dinner: veggies like broccoli and asparagus, fish, chicken, beef (all minimal carbs, maybe 10)

Snacks: string cheese, slim jims, deviled eggs, celery w/ cream cheese, deli turkey (Boar's Head, according to Eric),

Desserts: sugar free pudding made w/ cream (appr. 5 carbs), cheesecake tartlets (cream cheese, egg, sweetener, unsweetened cocoa - maybe 2 carbs), sugar free pumpkin pie filling w/ cream, sweetener, spices (maybe 3 carbs).

I also make my own lemonade with lemon juice (actual lemons spike me) and Truvia sweetener.

There's lots more that I'm still learning about, but it CAN be done. I lost 10 pounds in the last 6 weeks eating this way. :D
Thank you for great food tips, I will do this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gosh! You guys amaze me!
I find my carbs are usually between 100 - 150 a day..I do try to keep them down somtimes but fail miserably.
Having said that I have managed to lose 30lb since April 2010 which has made my Bg count much better.
Had a really off day today as I found on my WI this a.m. that I am still the same for the fifth week running so went out and had a slap up meal which included lots of things I shouldn't have...nuff said!

Will get back to my best behavior tomorrow....:D

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
As close to zero as possible and try to avoid any man made carbs at all costs

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would find that extremely difficult!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Good for you on the weight loss. I need to lose 40 pounds,how do I do this. Thank you for your answer.
I was not a big meat eater before diabetes and ate mostly vegetarian meals. I thought I was eating healthy because I was able to take off 50+ pounds in 5 years with diet and exercise. But when I was dx'd diabetic 4 years ago I found the Whole grains and fruit I was eating was sending my bgs soaring. So I started to cut out the foods that sent my bgs high. At that time I was only a touch overweight ( 148) . But I found by cutting out bread, pasta, rice, cereal and all processed boxed foods with chemicals that bgs fell and pounds came off. If you can keep carbs under about 70 and eat enough protein and fat to make up for the lost carbs your body will be in a "ketogenic" state. That means it will burn fat for energy, not carbs. This is important in weight loss. When I cut out the carbs, I noticed a lot of my carb cravings soon disappeared. I know what you mean about not being a big meat eater. I'm sure I don't get all the protein I should but get a lot of it from things like eggs, my own high protein baked goods using nut flours instead of wheat flour. You can also use whey powder and make smoothies or add it to muffins and cookies to make your own high protein baked items. I also will add some veggie meals in each week like veggie chilli, eggplant parmesan breaded with almond meal or egg/veggie frittatas. I also use a lot of Coconut Oil in my meals which gives me enough fat to keep metabolism burning.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.