The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am learning how to count my carbs daily and today I had 51 carbs. Is that low enough to loose weight? My BGL's were good today, but my fingers are so sore. I really need to loose forty pounds. Thank you for your answer. I walk every day too, try an watch my calories and I know carb counting is important.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I am learning how to count my carbs daily and today I had 51 carbs. Is that low enough to loose weight? My BGL's were good today, but my fingers are so sore. I really need to loose forty pounds. Thank you for your answer. I walk every day too, try an watch my calories and I know carb counting is important.
Your BGLs were good because you kept your carbs nice & low. The walking works together with it too. Try to do that every day & I'll bet you'll begin to see some weight loss too.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
how many of the 51 carbs were man made carbs? try to keep that number as close to zero as possible if you are trying to loose weight

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I average around 50 carbs/day and have been losing weight without counting calories. I eat whatever I want, but don't eat very much at one sitting, i.e. am always satisfied but never full.

I have more weight to lose than you (60 lbs) and suspect there will come a time when I'll have to further restrict carbs for weight loss, but for now the above is working.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
use the sides of your fingers to tes, not the finger pad. less pain

·
Registered
609 Posts
I lost 10 pounds in a month by eating 20-25 carbs per day. Personally, I think your carbs are too high to lose weight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I lost 10 pounds in a month by eating 20-25 carbs per day. Personally, I think your carbs are too high to lose weight.
I agree with you on that Rosie.
This is only my 2nd day on no/low carbs. I feel like crap from the withdrawl & hormone shift, but I also lost 2 pounds already.
Today was the 1st day I tried the Coconut Oil too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
This is only my 2nd day on no/low carbs. I feel like crap from the withdrawl & hormone shift, but I also lost 2 pounds already.
Isn't that the best? The first week of my diagnosis (April 1) I lost four pounds and was able to fit into my jeans for the first time in 2 years, and I literally jumped for joy. I've kind of stalled now because I've been too busy to work out but getting back on the horse today and hopefully will lose my remaining 40 pounds in about 6 months - hopefully! :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm hoping to someday be able to afford the coconut oil. I'd love to know what all the fuss is about first-hand! :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I vary my carbs from day to day. The average may be anywhere from 20-50. To lose weight I usually need to eat under 30. But when first starting it is good to lower carbs slowly, not drastically. I also agree man made carbs are bad. You may also find with certain foods you may be able to tolerate more carbs. For example I can eat sweet potatoes with no bg spike or most veggies. Also try to get as much fiber as you can from nuts, seeds and veggies. I find the fiber along with the Coconut Oil really moves stuff through your system quickly . I think this is a big part of weight loss. Also I would not worry so much about the calories. Sometimes it takes lots of trial and error to finally find a diet that works. Before I added more fat to my diet I had difficulty losing the last 15 pounds.

Reactions: Madea

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm hoping to someday be able to afford the coconut oil. I'd love to know what all the fuss is about first-hand! :)
The jar of CO that I got was $6.85 for a 14oz jar. It's organic. I hesitated at first, but eneded up buying a jar.

This morning I sauted garlic, onions, and baby spinach, then mixed scrambled eggs with it. Instead of regular salt, I use sea salt. I found iodized sea salt that I use instead. IF I use salt at all. Because of my "alleged" high blood pressure, I use little salt and lots of spices, vinegar, etc.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The jar of CO that I got was $6.85 for a 14oz jar. It's organic. I hesitated at first, but eneded up buying a jar.

This morning I sauted garlic, onions, and baby spinach, then mixed scrambled eggs with it. Instead of regular salt, I use sea salt. I found iodized sea salt that I use instead. IF I use salt at all. Because of my "alleged" high blood pressure, I use little salt and lots of spices, vinegar, etc.
The cheapest thing I found around me for coconut oil is over 10 bucks for a tiny bottle, and whey protein around 18 bucks a can. It's too expensive to be a diabetic!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The cheapest thing I found around me for coconut oil is over 10 bucks for a tiny bottle, and whey protein around 18 bucks a can. It's too expensive to be a diabetic!
Wow, thats crazy!
Did you try good ol WalMart? I got mine at a local store chain here in WI called Pick n' Save, but I know they have both at Wally World.

My Chiro told me Whey protein is better to use for recovery after exercise. Otherwise he said to use Soy protein in general for everyday use. I just bought the Soy, but haven't used it yet.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I got mine at Kroger. It is Spectrum organic and has no taste at all. I don't think our WM has it here, but I guess I need to give it a good look next time I'm there.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wow, thats crazy!
Did you try good ol WalMart? I got mine at a local store chain here in WI called Pick n' Save, but I know they have both at Wally World.

My Chiro told me Whey protein is better to use for recovery after exercise. Otherwise he said to use Soy protein in general for everyday use. I just bought the Soy, but haven't used it yet.
I just have a Target near me, no Walmart, and they want the 18 bucks. I just wanna make some dang pancakes!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got mine at Kroger. It is Spectrum organic and has no taste at all. I don't think our WM has it here, but I guess I need to give it a good look next time I'm there.
Yep, Spectrum organic is what I have too.

Funny how when your not looking for something, you notice it all over the place. Then when you need that something, ya can't find it!!

What kind of pancakes Rosie? Most if not all pancakes are loaded with carbs. You can have maybe one the size of a dime and thats it...lol....j/k.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yep, Spectrum organic is what I have too.

Funny how when your not looking for something, you notice it all over the place. Then when you need that something, ya can't find it!!

What kind of pancakes Rosie? Most if not all pancakes are loaded with carbs. You can have maybe one the size of a dime and thats it...lol....j/k.
I found a recipe using the whey powder but I don't want to waste 18 bucks on something I'm really unfamiliar with, especially if it turns out tasting awful and not like the real thing. So far, I've had luck getting my "diabetic" food to taste like the real stuff, but this would be kind of pricey to try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts