The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried Krogers carb smart milk for my honey nut Cheerios for breakfast. Not too bad if I say so myself. I got the vanilla flavored and it taste very sweet with only 3G or sugar and carbs per 8oz serving as opposed to 12g for regular milk.

Will see if there's any impact in BS.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
this is not same but i watch my salt and i had a hot dog for lunch. i had one for a long time it was very salty .

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I was just thinking the same ... honey nut cheerios has 22 grams in 3/4 cup of cereal. Out of curiosity, why would you use a low carb milk with a food high in carbs?

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You told us the other day that you're eating low-carb . . . I don't see how honeynut Cheerios fits into any kind of low-carb food plan. Can you shed some light on this for us?
There's about 21g of carb in what I ate. I know it's not low carb for most but right now I can tolerate that so I enjoy it on Sundays before church.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I'm sorry, but this just isn't making sense to me. You said in your introductory post that you went to the doctor in January of this year and your A1C was 7.7. That translates into an average blood glucose of 197. Three months later, you're able to eat high carb foods like cheerios and pizza while maintaining what are (or almost are) non-diabetic levels. How is this possible?

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry, but this just isn't making sense to me. You said in your introductory post that you went to the doctor in January of this year and your A1C was 7.7. That translates into an average blood glucose of 197. Three months later, you're able to eat high carb foods like cheerios and pizza while maintaining what are (or almost are) non-diabetic levels. How is this possible?
Exactly I went back and asked my doctor three weeks after he diagnosed me because I had been recording normal numbers. I asked if he would redo the a1c as maybe there was a lab error. He basically refuses to redo the bloodwork and said they don't make mistakes. I'm sure they didn't but it's been nice to know. Of course this same doctor only wants me to test once a day. I'm going to a new dr first of may to get a second opinion and hopefully a dr that will take me more seriously. Maybe I'm able to tolerate more carbs than most I don't know but it's be nice to see a dr that cares.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Before and after (albeit briefly) I was a real cereal diehard. My choice was 3/4 C Fiber One80 because the effective carbs in it (carb minus fiber grams) came to 15. Loved starting the day with a bowl brimming with grain, 1/2 C Silk Vanilla Lite, 1/2 C 0-fat yogurt (read added carbs), 1/2 c berries and 1/2 oz nuts. I recorded, but tended to turn a blind eye to all those carbs that shared the bowl with the grains.

It worked for a while until restricting carb intake to 70-80 and portion control resulted in upward creeping BGs. My first response was to cut back portions to 1/3 C, then 1/4 C, then to the "what's the point?" levels. Took a hard look at the minutia of added carbs and sugars and breathed a heavy sigh.

Can't say I blame you for wanting to hold onto that treat for as long as your meter says its feasible, but you may consider taking some "baby steps" by switching to cereals that have a more favorable carb:fiber ratio and playing around with what else you put in the bowl. I had to bid farewell to my love affair with cereal 3 years DX when I lost the good control I had and BGs suddenly shot up from less than 130 at all times to over 200 after high stress and a passing stomach bug landed me here on this forum, desperate to find ways to reduce those stubborn levels that refused to come down no matter what I tried.

Enter LCHF (Day 18 now). Not to goal yet (stress still playing role of major impediment) but BGs are now ranging from 96 (Yaaaayyy!!) to 136 and still gradually trending down. Feeling better, 10 pounds lighter and counting, and not looking back wistfully at the cereal bowl, now missing in action.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before and after (albeit briefly) I was a real cereal diehard. My choice was 3/4 C Fiber One80 because the effective carbs in it (carb minus fiber grams) came to 15. Loved starting the day with a bowl brimming with grain, 1/2 C Silk Vanilla Lite, 1/2 C 0-fat yogurt (read added carbs), 1/2 c berries and 1/2 oz nuts. I recorded, but tended to turn a blind eye to all those carbs that shared the bowl with the grains. It worked for a while until restricting carb intake to 70-80 and portion control resulted in upward creeping BGs. My first response was to cut back portions to 1/3 C, then 1/4 C, then to the "what's the point?" levels. Took a hard look at the minutia of added carbs and sugars and breathed a heavy sigh. Can't say I blame you for wanting to hold onto that treat for as long as your meter says its feasible, but you may consider taking some "baby steps" by switching to cereals that have a more favorable carb:fiber ratio and playing around with what else you put in the bowl. I had to bid farewell to my love affair with cereal 3 years DX when I lost the good control I had and BGs suddenly shot up from less than 130 at all times to over 200 after high stress and a passing stomach bug landed me here on this forum, desperate to find ways to reduce those stubborn levels that refused to come down no matter what I tried. Enter LCHF (Day 18 now). Not to goal yet (stress still playing role of major impediment) but BGs are now ranging from 96 (Yaaaayyy!!) to 136 and still gradually trending down. Feeling better, 10 pounds lighter and counting, and not looking back wistfully at the cereal bowl, now missing in action.
That's great are you controlling with diet and exercise alone?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts