The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had a phone consult with my diabetes nurse educator this morning.

She says she's a Low-Carber, but she's also pushing the ADA Carbalooza Diet. (I'm putting that down to HMO policy, at least in great part.)

The fact that I've had one FBG of 86 panicked her a bit. Maybe more than a bit. She said she'd prefer I stay a little high. :rolleyes2:

To her credit, she does not seem to think BGs of 140+ are a Good Thing. That's something. But our chat does bring up a question:

To all you Low-Carbers out there:
How do you all deal with your medical team?

I'd prefer total honesty, both ways. But maybe that simply doesn't work in D-world. I do not want to be labeled as "non-compliant" if it can be avoided.

Many thanks for any wisdom you can provide!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
My endo seems to have a don't ask, don't tell policy on low-carbing.

His CDE whom I saw once told me to "eat more carbs!" :peace: but he knows how I eat.

She is worried about an 86??? But that's the middle of NORMAL! She sounds a bit .... well, she may have to follow the party line. SIGH.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My medical team consists of my PCP & me. He fussed at first that I go too low-carb, but he's come around as time goes by. Prob'ly a good thing he knew me for years before the D diagnosis - he knows how I am . . . ;) (and now he's seen what it did for my husband's lipids profile - that gave the cause a BIG boost!)

·
Registered
261 Posts
The diabetic educators I saw recently seem to think the number of carb servings and not the actual count is more important for nutrition which by following those recommendations doesn't add up to a huge number for the day.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi, all!

The recommendation I got for "no-measure" carbs were higher than I'd have gone for on most normal, pre-diagnosis days. Maybe there's a saner-for-me scale?

She might be concerned that I'm going too low, too fast, but she didn't put it that way. She was pleased that I've almost never gone below 90. My LDL's been very high as well. Might be a factor in her thinking. But, yeah, I suspect she's toeing the party line.

She put me on an insulin regimen that allows me more carbing flexibility. Calculations are a bit difficult outside our own kitchen, though.

Plus, cutting the carbs has majorly relieved my chronic heartburn. No Prevacid needed. Now that's a lovely surprise! And one big reason not to backslide.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It has taken me 4 years to convert my doctor to low carb. He now likes the results and tells me he wishes all his patients did as well as me. I'm thinking to myself then why do you send them to CDE's who push the ADA diet. My eventual aim is to have 83-86 bgs most of the day because that is what normal is. If you can get your bgs in that range then that is terrific. I find the best way to deal with medicatl personnel that don't listen is just ignore them and do your own thing.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I would ask her what is the reason she's concerned about your numbers being in non-diabetic range. If it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for us. Is she concerned you might go too low? Maybe once you've been at this longer she won't be so worried, but it's worth the conversation.

Maybe she can't believe how well you're doing considering how recently you were dx'ed (I can't either - kudos!), and once she comes to see you have a good handle on your diabetes and control she won't be so alarmed.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think that number is great. Luckily, my diabetes care team, from the original diabetic instructor to my endo, have been proponents of low carb dieting. It has made my journey fairly nice, as nice as a diagnosis of diabetes can be I guess.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would ask her what is the reason she's concerned about your numbers being in non-diabetic range. If it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for us. Is she concerned you might go too low? Maybe once you've been at this longer she won't be so worried, but it's worth the conversation.

Maybe she can't believe how well you're doing considering how recently you were dx'ed (I can't either - kudos!), and once she comes to see you have a good handle on your diabetes and control she won't be so alarmed.
Hi, Moon!

Your numbers are beautiful, too!

From what I've been able to gather, they simply don't believe that diabetics can achieve normal numbers without experiencing disastrous lows. Therefore, lows are worse than highs.

Makes sense if you don't think about it. Or if you disregard all personal experience and ignore your fellow diabetics. :rolleyes:

I get no sense of malice from any of the folks I've dealt with. They are sincerely convinced their recommendations are in my best interest.

O

·
0 Posts
well I really appreciate my medical team... my management hasn't been easy for them and they've been trying very hard to get me within healthy range of BGLs. They recommend low carbs here too... although with me they acknowledge I need more carbs as I have unpredictable digestive system.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I really appreciate my medical team... my management hasn't been easy for them and they've been trying very hard to get me within healthy range of BGLs. They recommend low carbs here too... although with me they acknowledge I need more carbs as I have unpredictable digestive system.
Yup. Every body is different. I'm very glad your team recognizes this!

Have read about some of your troubles. Yikes. Hope all improves, ASAP.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My endo seems to have a don't ask, don't tell policy on low-carbing.

His CDE whom I saw once told me to "eat more carbs!" :peace: but he knows how I eat.

She is worried about an 86??? But that's the middle of NORMAL! She sounds a bit .... well, she may have to follow the party line. SIGH.
Since my team's part of an HMO (Big Insurance with its own hospitals and clinicians), "don't ask, don't tell" might be the best low-carb support I can expect.

Luckily, they seem highly competent in every other D-related area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts