The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really don't know how much carbs in this recipe. Got it from a friend who is gluten intolerant. It's from her book : Eat well, feel well. I don't have the brains to figure out how much carbs but if anyone out there can figure it out for me you are more than welcomed to do it! :)

I like this bread! Mind you, I eat it as a 'treat', and on week-ends only. Once baked, I slice the bread and freeze it for more convenient use. It's quite filling! More importantly, I don't spike with cashew bread. I realize we are all different and react differently to foods though. Always a good idea to check your meter!

CASHEW BREAD - Makes 3 loaves but you can cut this recipe in half!

Ingredients:
6 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups unsalted raw cashews
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups plain yogurt
1 cup apple juice
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

Preheat oven to 300F.

Line three 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 inch loaf pans with parchment paper (important!) and place on a baking sheet. Set aside.

Note: I have a good non-stick loaf pan but I wanted to pull all my hair out because I didn't use parchment paper in that pan. Don't make the same mistake I did! :eek:

Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff peaks form.

Meanwhile grind the cashews in a food processor until as smooth as possible. With the motor running, add the vinegar, yogurt, juice, egg yolks, and baking soda. Blend well and then transfer to a large bowl. Gently fold half of the egg whites into the cashew mixture to lighten the batter; then fold the rest until combined.

Pour the batter into loaf pans and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean. It took less time in my gas oven so check! This is not a cheap recipe so please don't burn your cashew bread!!

Cool for 15 minutes, then remove from the pans, using the parchment paper to yank it out of the pans. Cool completely on a rack before cutting. I usually wait until the next day!

This is a moist bread. Go gentlywhen you cut it with a really good bread knife!

Well wrapped, the loaves will keep for 2 days at room temperature, 5 days in the fridge, and up to 2 months in the freezer.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sounds good. I bake a lot and don't always specifically figure out how many carbs in a serving. I use my meter to determine how my body reacts. I wonder if it would work with other ground nuts.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use my meter to determine how my body reacts. I wonder if it would work with other ground nuts.
Me too! My meter is my best friend and I am re-learning how to rely on it.

I don't know if it would work with other ground nuts. I'll ask my friend! She has tried oh so many recipes :)

If you bake a lot and have great recipes, fire away :D I love baking too!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I ran this through CRON-o-Meter, a free pgm that's easy to plug this sort of thing into and came up w/ (for the full recipe):

Calories = 5360
Protein = 204
Carbs = 300
Fiber = 27.4
Fat = 404

So 100 carbs/loaf - 10 carbs for 1/10th the loaf ... this is the sort of math I'm capable of :)

Reactions: Scarlet Phantom

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Since you bake a lot, is there any way I might adapt this recipe because I don't have a food processor. I do have a blender, but I know that is not the same thing. Cashews are my favorite nuts, so something like this would definitely be a real treat for me.

Funny how long it took me to learn that my meter wasn't being mean to me, it was me not paying attention to what the meter was saying :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran this through CRON-o-Meter, a free pgm that's easy to plug this sort of thing into and came up w/ (for the full recipe):

Calories = 5360
Protein = 204
Carbs = 300
Fiber = 27.4
Fat = 404

So 100 carbs/loaf - 10 carbs for 1/10th the loaf ... this is the sort of math I'm capable of :)
Thank you so much! :dance:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since you bake a lot, is there any way I might adapt this recipe because I don't have a food processor. I do have a blender, but I know that is not the same thing. Cashews are my favorite nuts, so something like this would definitely be a real treat for me.

Funny how long it took me to learn that my meter wasn't being mean to me, it was me not paying attention to what the meter was saying :(
I've never tried it with a blender but my guess is you could use it to grind the cashews. Some blenders have a 'grind' button. Make sure you only make a small quantity at a time and also make sure you don't turn the cashews into a paste.

I hear some people toast this bread (in a toaster/oven) and then spread cream cheese on it but like you I am also very fond of cashews and on its own it's just delicious. I don't need anything on it. And I don't toast it either.

I used to think my meter was my worse enemy. But I was my own worse enemy!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I wuz definitely my own worst enemy, convinced as I was that we were eating healthy with all the homecookin', garden produce, canning/freezing, etc.; every grain imaginable prob'ly passed through my kitchen over the years. Thank heaven our doc wasn't a complete twit about diabetes, because one of the first things he said was to go to Walmart & get the ReliOn meter because the strips were cheaper. It took a little longer to find a forum & some of these fellers who knew the truth from the myths! :D That's when I really began to give my meter the workout it was meant to do!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wanted to make one loaf to try this out, which means 2 cups of ground nuts. I don't use cashews, they have more carbs and cost more than almonds, so I started grinding almonds. It would have taken the whole bag to make 2 cups. Nuts are expensive and keep going up, but I bought these at Aldis so they cost about $3.49. I ended up not making the bread because $3.49 plus the cost of the other ingredients is way too much to pay for a loaf of bread, in my opinion. I'll keep looking for a recipe that calls for less nuts.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I wanted to make one loaf to try this out, which means 2 cups of ground nuts. I don't use cashews, they have more carbs and cost more than almonds, so I started grinding almonds. It would have taken the whole bag to make 2 cups. Nuts are expensive and keep going up, but I bought these at Aldis so they cost about $3.49. I ended up not making the bread because $3.49 plus the cost of the other ingredients is way too much to pay for a loaf of bread, in my opinion. I'll keep looking for a recipe that calls for less nuts.
This might be why Scarlet uses it as a treat & only on weekends . . . it isn't just ordinary bread, but special nut bread which doesn't cause a spike. Just sayin' . . .

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes! I use it as a treat. I know this recipe is expen$ive. Not only do we have to watch what we eat as diabetics but we have to balance a budget too, I'm all too aware of that. And feed a family that doesn't necessarily have diabetes on top of everything. Phew! What a challenge, isn't it?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I buy the almond meal at Traders Joes for $3.99 a pound. It is amazing how far that bag goes in baking. When I make breads I usually use 1/2 almond meal and 1/2 flaxseed meal. You are right it is more expensive than cheap white bread but when you consider the nutritional value and low bgs. I find now I rarely buy boxed foods or treats so in the end the cost evens out. As far as grinding nuts in a blender, I'm not sure . You might want to try a coffee grinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.