The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had cataract surgery on my left eye this morning. I am about 11 hours post-op. I am having a hard time focusing and I am having a little bit of trouble seeing the computer screen. My eye feels really weird! My eye is still dilated and is very sensitive to light. I am hoping to have my right eye operated on in 2 weeks. I was lightly sedated during surgery and took a 4 hour nap after surgery and woke up with my blood sugar at 175. I had to skip my Lantus last night, the doctor didn't want my blood sugar to go low during the procedure since I was fasting. I took a correction bolus and boy it sure did bring down that blood sugar fast. Insulin can be a life saver at times. Too bad the surgery center didn't have any diabetic snacks, just apple juice and peanut butter crackers and animal cookies. Silly me, 15 minutes post-op and I'm checking the snack food labels for the carb counts! BTW, the apple juice tasted really good! :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is such good news, Breeze! Your focus will improve every day & by the time you're ready for the next eye, this one will be great!

I sure hear you about those post-op snacks! lol! I think my nurse was ready to smack me because I kept asking her to be sure my drink was DIET! If she hadn't poured it out over ice in a cup, I coulda done like you did - checked the bottle myself! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were 3 other patients sitting at the same table and they all had diabetes! We were all sitting at a little table wearing big black heavy sunglasses! I guess you would have had to be there to see how silly we all looked!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
There were 3 other patients sitting at the same table and they all had diabetes! We were all sitting at a little table wearing big black heavy sunglasses! I guess you would have had to be there to see how silly we all looked!
Glad to hear it went well! Just the thought of having something done to my eyes while I am awake is freaking me out a little! It sure will be worth it when you can see clearly again though!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My sis is the same way, Pam, and she's a nurse too! :D I think you nurses just know too much! heheh!

Ah Breeze . . . those lovely black shades! lol! Y'think you'll get another pair when you have the other eye done? I did! :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My sis is the same way, Pam, and she's a nurse too! :D I think you nurses just know too much! heheh!

Ah Breeze . . . those lovely black shades! lol! Y'think you'll get another pair when you have the other eye done? I did! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Maybe so...I am already freaking out about the laser surgery and we havent even scheduled it yet :) I am such a weenie sometimes!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe so...I am already freaking out about the laser surgery and we havent even scheduled it yet :) I am such a weenie sometimes!
Pam, I was really anxious about the surgery and was not sleeping well just worrying about it. Once I was in the operating room and all the nurses and the doctor was standing by the bed, I just waited for that little injection of Versed and settled down. By that time, it was too late to make a run for it! :llama:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I got a little carrying bag with the doctor's logo and my name on it and was told to bring all my gear back. For what they are charging for the surgery, those should be prescription sunglasses and they are :cool: One of the nurses took a picture of me on the gurney with the doctor standing over me and that was truly a first and how odd! When they told me to smile, it was hard to do so considering someone was about to cut into my eye :eek:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
You are braver than me....they didnt say if I would get anything to calm me or not. I sure hope so *sigh*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts