The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just had cataract surgery to remove 1 of 2 db induced cataracts last Wednesday. I'm 5 days out from surgery and the eye is still blurry. I'm curious, based on the forum's experience, how long did it take your vision to return to normal?

I had a standard (distance focused) IOL, not multi-focal and I'm not sure where I should be at this point. My doc says everything looks good, I just expected to be further along at this point. Would my db be slowing my recovery time?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Gosh, it's been a year since I had mine & if memory serves, I was prob'ly still a little blurry at five days out. My saving grace was that I had been SO blind before, that even blurry vision was a great improvement & I was chomping at the bit to get the other eye done ASAP.

If your BG levels are low & stable, I wouldn't think it would delay healing. My doc was seeing me every week & I think by about the third visit I was at 20/30 in that eye. Considering it had been 20/400 a month earlier, I was on cloud 9.

I think you'll be good to go, Gene . . . will they be doing the other eye right away?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shanny - Yeah, my BGs are pretty stable ranging between the mid 80's (86-88) and mid-90's (95/96) depending on how good or bad I've eaten. I actually ate lasagna last week and my 2-hr post-meal number were 86. I guess I just expected better vision at 5 days. Eye #2 is/was not nearly as bad off as eye #1, so I'll probably hold off until later this year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts