The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the optometrist and she said I had cataracts. I'm only 37. Isn't that kind of young? So are cataracts another great benefit of diabetes?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yes, unfortunately :( Your eyes are oe of the most important reasons to control your blood sugar. I had to have both of my eyes lasered recently for macular edema due to complications of my out of control diabetes.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Diabetics are somewhat more likely to have cataracts. I'm not sure if 37 is young for them or not. It may be, but it is a simple surgery. Both of mine were removed in consecutive years, about 15 years ago. Easy outpatient surgery and easy recovery.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My cataracts got a head start on my diabetes, they were established long before my diagnosis. I'm just piping up here to agree with Richard's assurance that it's easy outpatient surgery. I had mine done this spring a month apart & the biggest hassle was traveling to/from the doctor! (we're in a rural area - was an 80-mile trip).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody. I feel reassured. The doctor said that they were not affecting my vision yet. Other than that and increased eye pressure, there were no other diabetes related problems.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts