The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this looked good. I do not use low carb bread (nor do I stuff a bird;)), so:

Cauliflower Stuffing

1 head cauliflower
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup sausage (about 2 links or 1/2 package Jimmy Dean Sausage - hot
or mild)
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon white pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes

Cut the cauliflower in corn-sized pieces and steam it until it's soft but not mushy. Set aside.

Saute the butter, sausage, chopped mushrooms, diced celery, diced onion, and chopped garlic until soft.

Add the shredded cheese, eggs, white pepper, salt, dried parsley, sage, hot pepper flakes. Toss well to combine all the ingredients thoroughly.

Spoon the entire mix into a casserole. Flatten the surface with the back of large spoon.

Bake in oven while roasting your meat. Or by itself in a 350 oven until it's hot and the cheese melts.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'll definitely give this a try, only I'll probably substitute something else for the mushrooms. Thanks for posting this recipe, Linda.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I live in the land of dressing no stuffing down here, I do miss my stuffing. When in PA as a child we would slice the left over stuffing 1/2" thick and fry it in butter the next morning for breakfast along with some eggs and left over ham.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I live in the land of dressing no stuffing down here, I do miss my stuffing. When in PA as a child we would slice the left over stuffing 1/2" thick and fry it in butter the next morning for breakfast along with some eggs and left over ham.
All these years I've made double and triple the stuffing recipe, because it was one thing that would tempt people (me included!) away from the mashies, even though the spuds were dolled up with cream cheese/sour cream/butter/roasted garlic/etc. And it was still the one we ran out of first when the leftovers came around. OMG, I can taste it as I sit here typing. :(

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I always made triple stuffing, mashed potatoes and Spoon Bread for Thanksgiving. My kids aren't nuts about the stuffing but I do have to make the Mashies for them. I was the big stuffing eater and I loved the leftovers cold for the next few days. If I make regular stuffing I know I will overeat it, so the cauliflower one might become a new favorite.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This casserole was sooooooooo good! My husband and I ate half of it, between us! I could have skipped some other dishes and just eaten this, seriously.

I know the time is past for it for many people, but I will definitely be making it for more than just Thanksgiving.

I followed the directions and only substituted morningstar farms sausage crumbles for the real sausage.

·
Registered
741 Posts
*laughing* we do talk about food alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nowhere else have I been so comfortable with my onsession

Reactions: foxl and Shanny

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have made this twice. The first time I followed the recipe exactly, but felt like it was too 'chunky' (maybe my fault) and didn't taste enough like dressing, so here are the changes I made when I made it today. We liked today's version a lot better and we think it tastes more like stuffing than it did the first time around.

Cauliflower Stuffing

1 pound bulk sausage, sage flavor
1 head cauliflower, steamed, chopped in processor
1 can mushrooms, drained, chopped
4 tablespoons butter
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 eggs
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Sauté the sausage, then place it in a bowl and stir in the cauliflower and mushrooms. Add the butter to the skillet and sauté the celery and onion until cooked some but still crunchy. In a small bowl, with a fork, beat together the eggs and spices. Stir this mixture into the sausage mixture, then stir in the cheese. Spread in an 9 X 13" greased pan, pat it down with your hand and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 min.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I may try it your way, Giz ... it spiked me something fierce, the first time around (onion??? Or baked too long? Dunno. LOVE it though!).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts