The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my dietitian was looking over some of the test results from the bloodwork the endo had ordered, she stumbled upon an indication of celiac disease for me. I have no real symptoms, and she just told me to wait for the endo to interpret the results, but ...

Waiting is hard, you know? Anybody here test positive?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have read on the diabetes sites about several diabeics who have Celiac disease. I know very little about it. I hope you do not have it. Good luck!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Waiting IS hard. Not sure why in this electronic age with instant communictions etc., the labs still take so long! :(

Let us know when you get the results, wish.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Waiting IS hard. Not sure why in this electronic age with instant communictions etc., the labs still take so long! :(

Let us know when you get the results, wish.
Thanks to you both. Trying not to obsess. Trying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I can't be much help, but I can be here for support to let you know that I have been recently diagnosed with Celiac's Disease. I had it as a random test for my anemia issue and it showed up positive. Your next step should be to have an upper scope to do some biopsies of the intestine, that is how they 100% diagnose it. Do not stop eating gluten until the biopsy confirms it though, or the test will be invalid. I wish you the best. Celiac is hard to adjust to, but with a gluten free diet, you can live a healthy. I have only been diagnosed for 2 months, so I am in the process of adjusting and each day gets easier.

As far as my history, I am the opposite of you. I came to this boards because my BS has been low at times and I now am showing weird Insulin/C-Peptide numbers (abnormally low, yet normal glucose). So my endo is concerned it may be a prediabeties symptom. We have gone the opposite direction it looks. I wish you the best and I hope the biopsy is negative. but if not, it is not the end of the world, GF diet is the solution :)

Take care and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'll let you know what the endo says. I had a colonoscopy last summer, but I haven't had the upper GI scope thingy (like my technical jargon?) in years. As I recall, it was not pleasant. Oh, joy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, back from the endo visit. No mention was made of celiac. I did get busted for my cholesterol, which has been borderline for years. More meds. Yippeee.

This dr is like talking to the wall. No bedside manner. No listening. Just looking at the numbers and prescribing meds accordingly. I think he could have mailed me the results and been satisfied with that.

"I see that you have lost weight." On to next topic. Would it have killed him to say "good job" or "keep up the good work" or something like that? "I see that your BG numbers have come down." Nothing else, just that the med must be working (hey, what about me working on eating better?) and that he won't bump me up to a higher dosage YET.

*sigh and end rant*

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, after studying my test results, I have some questions. He slammed me with recommendations for huge dosages of flax seed (I'm allergic to some fish) and Zocor, too. When I look at the numbers, though, they are not that far off the expected range. He had made me think they were really extremely bad, but they are better than they were two years ago when they did not put me on meds, just told me to improve diet/exercise and be retested.

As to the celiac, he made no mention, but I see this on the lab flowsheet:

Gliadin Antibody, IgG 51 (H)...
Gliadin Antibody, IgA 4
Endomysial Ab (IgA) Negative...
Additional Testing Report ... (did not get a copy of this report)
tTG-IgG Ab <3...
tTG IgA Ab <3...
IgA 175...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sometimes we have to get by despite these docs, don't we?! But what poor patient relations . . . some won't even look us in the eyes!

I wish i knew better about some of these tests, but those numbers may as well be Sanscrit to me.

Sorry he was like a brick wall, but you know & we know that you've improved, and we can celebrate without him!
Here's to better numbers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel your pain...my endo is about the same. I go there for suspected reactive hypo, he sends me for blood work...my insulin and c-peptides barely register as producing (below ref range) and he says...looks good see you in 6 months. No GTT or any other follow up? I am sorry you go through the same thing and I wish you the best.

As per Celiac, I would be a little bit rest assured on your test results. tTg is the big indicator about Celiac with a 90%+ accuracy. To make you feel a bit better...my tTG at diagnosis last November was 66. Lower the better...so there is one less thing to worry about :) I hope this helps a little.

Adam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts