The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am worried as my doctor told me that I have a patch of cellulitis and prescribed antibiotics specially for that. I am still thinking is cellulitis a form of neuropathy symptom! mine is asmall red patch above ankle and painful. Doctor even told me that there might be a boil and may also ulcerate later if I dont take care now. I wonder if this due to all the antibiotics ;I have taken recently or hospital infection or due to different BG readings..:confused:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I used to get it on my feet & legs before I retired, because I always had to wear nylon stockings to work. The abrasion of the nylon would start little sores that turned into bigger sores. I can't remember if I ever needed antibiotics, but I would always hotpack them a few times a day to draw the blood to the site for better healing. The usual suspects are staph & strep bacteria, so now in this age of MRSA, I'm sure the docs are super cautious with this.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its what I read on the net scared me more actually and set me thinking..I also used to wear nylon stockings to prevent vericose veins though I stopped them now, even normal socks have an elastic band which started to irritate me. It seems this infection can go in to the system and debilate a diabetic further if they are not careful.. I think I will follow what you said about hot packs or soak feet in bucket of hot water withantiseptic wash in it like Savalon

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Oh, Anuradha, not a good thing -- but if you got antibiotics while it is still local, perhaps that will stop it early!

My husband developed an insignificant-looking rash on his shin -- the next day he had erysepilis -- sudden fever, nausea, vomiting, severe diarrhea. He landed in the hospital for ten days, his leg swelled to twice its size, he had dehydration, irregular heartbeat due to electrolyte imbalance, elevated blood sugars (and he is really PRE-D, not T2, yet) followed by 7 days of IV antibiotics through a PICC line -- it was quite the drama. We think it was MRSA as he ended up getting FIVE antibiotics to finally stop it, and Kansas City has or had at the time the highest community-acquired MRSA rate in the US!

I am glad that you got antibiotics early, and I am truly not posting our story to alarm you, but so you are aware, if there is sudden onset of symptoms like his, head to a hospital! He really had no idea what he was dealing with and would have saved himself a LOT had he gone in sooner.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ThanQ verymuch Foxl, I was alarmed enough when I read about it on net and in the medical books . I even badgered my doctor why he was pumping me with such a highdose of antibiotics..:), but we have to be aware of all the symptoms, and their life threatening possibilities..wish I had joined this community earlier, I was truly not aware of it. I even have a patch of psoriasis and this red patch of cellulitis appeared just near the borders of it. I was scared that this new type of psoriasis and ran to the doctor.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Of course, we were not aware of cellulitis or MRSA, either, until this event 3 yrs ago ... I share it frequently, as Diabetics are more at risk ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts