The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK! Long-term problem with left eye swollen (likely allergy) since late August, progressing to chronic inflammation and irritation. Seems to be spreading, too: eczema on my hands, around my mouth. UGH. Might be dermatitis (eczema) but it also came back positive for staph infection, so the doctor prescribed me 10 days of Keflex (cephalexin) pills, starting today.

Does Keflex have any effect on BG? Anything I should know about? I'm only 5 weeks into my diagnosis of T2, and everything makes me nervous.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you on Metformin also?

(I asked as there is a possible interaction with Metforimin/Cephalexin I saw cruising the web - otherwise can't answer definitively. )

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No meds yet - just low carbs and exercise, which seem to be working their magic.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Staph is no joke. Make sure it's not a resistant strain, that can take much longer to resolve.

Fighting that infection (or any other kind, including a mere cold) can raise your BS.

Too many carbs, now that I've been LCHF for several months, will give me nasty rashes. And especially if I've partaken of the Evil Wheat.

Now, to address the eczema/atopic problem: 1. You need more moisturizer, and of a better quality (especially in winter, even if you don't think where you live is very dry). (My go-to's are Aveeno, Cetaphil cream - not lotion, and coconut oil.) 2. You need to drink more water. (I confess, I really bad at this part.) 3. You might need to take an allergy med on a regular basis. 4. And oddly enough, try some probiotics. Carbs and gut flora and metabolic imbalance seem to have a very n=1 relationship, which needs an occasional kick int he head.

From where do I speak? Allergies run rampant in my family, and almost all allergies in all members include a tendancy to rash. To what, changed over time...with the seasons...and occasionally, with different stressors. So I've been a walking rash from before I could walk.

All is just in my experience and opinion, though, and things you might already be doing or aware of.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Jade covered everything that came to my mind, and I agree it's the infection itself which will cause higher blood sugars. Plus the infection will thrive as long as your blood sugar is high - those 'bugs' love all the glucose floating around in our blood. So make haste to dump the carbs in your meals - they're working against it healing up.

Be sure you take all the pills - even if the infection clears up - it's important to take all the pills. And stay in close touch with your doctor since it's already positive for staph - this is nothing to fool around with.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Read a bit about cleaning for staph germs. I once had a good brochure from my mom's doctor about that but I can't find it. Apparently staph germs can linger on certain surfaces and re-infect you (or reinforce the ones you have already). My mom had a staph infection (no diabetes) and it was no fun getting rid of it. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have been given a prescription for Cephalexin after surgery for skin cancer as a preventative for infection and have never had any problems with it. It definitely didn't have any effect on my bg, however that is just me so your own meter will tell you if there is any problem. I have a bad heart valve ( aortic stenosis ) so it's imperative that I take an antibiotic after any procedure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I woke up 2 days ago with an swollen, abscessed molar. The endodontist prescribed an antibiotic for a few days prior to root canal next week. Blood sugar up 15 points over previous fasting readings, but I'm not sure if the antibiotics or the infection is causing the spike.

Evidently, teeth problems are big issue with diabetes.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Sorry dagnabit but I'd vote with the infection. Once that gets cleared up, things should look up.

It did for me four years back and I've had no bother since largely I think because I don't coat my teeth each day with carbohydrate induced plaque!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry dagnabit but I'd vote with the infection. Once that gets cleared up, things should look up.

It did for me four years back and I've had no bother since largely I think because I don't coat my teeth each day with carbohydrate induced plaque!
This tooth infection has been cookin' for a while. I was ignoring the slight pain above the tooth for months....until the area swelled like a marble a couple of days ago:eek:

Whether the infection or antibiotics is the cause, BG spiked......dagnabit!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The infection is spiking your blood sugar, not the antibiotic. And as for diabetics having tooth troubles, we're discovering that when we're on LCHF, we don't need dentists nearly so often because we aren't - as John says - coating our teeth with all the carbohydrate induced plaque. I haven't seen a dentist in years.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The infection is spiking your blood sugar, not the antibiotic. And as for diabetics having tooth troubles, we're discovering that when we're on LCHF, we don't need dentists nearly so often because we aren't - as John says - coating our teeth with all the carbohydrate induced plaque. I haven't seen a dentist in years.
Good to know!! :)

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Staph is no joke. Make sure it's not a resistant strain, that can take much longer to resolve.

Fighting that infection (or any other kind, including a mere cold) can raise your BS.

Too many carbs, now that I've been LCHF for several months, will give me nasty rashes. And especially if I've partaken of the Evil Wheat.

Now, to address the eczema/atopic problem: 1. You need more moisturizer, and of a better quality (especially in winter, even if you don't think where you live is very dry). (My go-to's are Aveeno, Cetaphil cream - not lotion, and coconut oil.) 2. You need to drink more water. (I confess, I really bad at this part.) 3. You might need to take an allergy med on a regular basis. 4. And oddly enough, try some probiotics. Carbs and gut flora and metabolic imbalance seem to have a very n=1 relationship, which needs an occasional kick int he head.

From where do I speak? Allergies run rampant in my family, and almost all allergies in all members include a tendancy to rash. To what, changed over time...with the seasons...and occasionally, with different stressors. So I've been a walking rash from before I could walk.

All is just in my experience and opinion, though, and things you might already be doing or aware of.
Thanks, Jade! I'm no stranger to rashes... I was pretty much covered in eczema from birth till my mid-20s. Mercifully, that receded and seems to only have recurred now that the magic of menopause is upon me. :) But my old routine of moisturizing and skin care is still in my memory.

Interestingly: my sister told me the other day that she had eczema on and off her whole life UNTIL she had valve replacement (due to a massive infection) a few years ago. Since that operation and all the antibiotics, her eczema has not returned. Makes you wonder!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Keflex will not get rid of MRSA if that is what is suspected. But most MRSA presents as large red carbuncles and are fairly easy to identify. Keflex will make it look better, but not get rid of it. If MRSA is a problem for you consider bleach baths once a week. Google it, it really works! Of course there are a couple of antibiotics you might need in cling a antibiotic cream for the nose. Yes, the nose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts