Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

CGM advice pls

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  shrink111 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here in Australia we don't have insurance coverage for CGMs (grrr) but I can see what an advantage they would be and am thinking of self funding.

I use an accu-chek pump but since the CGM would be independent of the pump it really isn't important what make CGM I go for.

This gets me to my point - can any of you give me any advice on which works best for you and what to be aware of (apart from the cost!!!)

I am trying to understand how they operate. I guess they have a remote screen thingy which the CGM transmits to but does that always have to be within range or will it catch up when you come back into range like the meter/remote for my pump?

#2 ·
All have another canulla to be inserted by which the CGM reads glucose interstitially, not by blood. The canulla has to be replaced approximately every 7 days.

Mine (Dexcom G4) takes a reading every five minutes that gets stored in a small electric receiver to be kept within 20' of the body. It alarms whenever glucose goes above or below points that can be set by the user.

Be cautioned that those interstitial readings are not as accurate as finger sticks, so you'll still want to test before bolusing.

It's great if you're hypo unaware though or just want to do a quick check any time like before driving. Also very useful in determining trends.

Mine has saved me many times and I wouldn't want to be without it!

#5 ·
I don't remove my Dexcom sensor (cannula) every 7 days. I press the 'stop sensor' button, then immediately press the 'start sensor' button without removing the sensor or the transmitter. On average I can usually get anywhere from 11-18 days from one sensor. In the U.S. Medicare does not cover the CGMs so my Dexcom is "out of pocket" expense.

Reactions: Hillary
#6 ·
I've heard of this and tried it several times without success.

I'm inclined to have frequent forays over 300 and have the impression that Dexcom goes a little nuts with high glucose.

Do you do the same? I hear some people are getting upwards of a month from a sensor (I guess 18 days is pretty close!).

#10 ·
Keep us posted on how it goes!!!
If you could start a new discussion on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.