The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Can anyone tell me why a prescription is needed to get and use a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) ?

For the past few months I've asked several people; diabetes educators, nurses, etc...
And they all have the same answer; that is starting to get me angry.
They all say:
"Well without a prescription; how do you expect to get insurance to pay for it ?"

I'M NOT ASKING HOW TO GET INSURANCE TO PAY FOR IT !

I'm asking why is it illegal for me (myself and I) to buy and use a CGM and it's sensors without a prescription ?

(It's no wonder health care costs are so high in the U.S.. Everyone wants insurance to pay for EVERYTHING.)

Thanks;
--ET

·
Registered
633 Posts
What makes you think you need one. I would not be on one if it wasn't for hypounawareness. The reason for the perscriptions are to insure that you receive the proper training on how to insert them since they have a good sized needle that has to be used. The FDA decides what needs a perscrition and not the company that seels them.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I wore one for a couple of weeks while I was figuring out basal rates when I first went on the pump. I dont think I need one as I can almost always tell when I am getting low...I am not interested in wearing one unless I need it. Its not as easy to put in as the pump site and I found it to be a bit cumbersome.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes they deffinetly take a little practice to get the hang of it, I have ruined a couple and dislodged them while trying to pull the needle out. Not something I could ever do with just one hand.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I started using my Dexcom CGM in January of this year. I was required by my insurance to get a letter saying I needed a CM before I was covered. I don't think that was a prescription, but maybe it was. It was mailed directly from my endos office to the insurance company and I never saw it.

Did the CGM company require a prescription? Did you try and order one on your own?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've been using the Dexcom CGMS since 9-2-2009. Last month I spoke with a tech support person at Dexcom and they told me that my "prescription" had to be renewed every year - something I did not know. It turned out to be quite a hassle because I had changed not only doctor, but insurance company as well. Finally did get it all straightened out but it took a lot of phone calls and faxes and reminders to the doctor office.

I use the CGMS because I cannot tell when a low is coming. I've been at 32 (1.7) and still unaware until I tested my BG. I would prefer not to need it but I guess I'm glad I have it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Infections at insertions sites are possible

I agree it probably has something to do with proper use,as a nurse I was trying to think if there are any other injections/needles that are available without prescription, cannot think of one right now.

In June I changed from the Guardian to the Dexcon after 2 years. Glad the insertion needle is smaller, but also agree if I could always tell that I am dropping or have already dropped I would avoid wearing it. It is a pain to keep up with, and certainly doesn't cut down on the amount of fingersticks daily. Add to that the times it is inaccurate and the times the Dexcon reads ??? only for me to finally figure out for me that means I have dropped faster than it can keep up with, like yesterday after waiting and calling the tech support after an hour I "remembered" that I should have just check a fingerstick, yep 42. So I am making a sign to "remind" myself :frown:

With all of that said the times it does catch it and starts beeping and flashing 2 down arrows is one less time I miss it and don't spend time stumbling around, falling, or hitting medical alert button when alone.

I will be getting a Diabetic Alert Dog in about 8 weeks and hoping in the next year I will have a more reliable "monitor". Maybe even get to drive more by spring!
Beverly

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I totally understand when you say "it would be good if you could tell you were dropping or had already dropped". I also agree that I would test less often if the CGMS was always semi-accurate most of the time. But even though I have to pay out of pocket for the sensors, I'm grateful to have the chance to use them. I'm also alone a lot and having a bad low is not fun.

A Diabetic Alert dog sounds exciting. Please tell us more about your new 'monitor' :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is exciting!

I am excited about finding a place on the east coast that not only provides dogs and a trainer, but will place a dog with me (I am not a diabetic and most places only will consider Type I, I am a Reactive Hypoglycemic ,and have between 1-10 drops a day)

So the place is "Warrens Retrievers" and the trainer that will help me is Dee Bogetti. They both have web sites, I would put links but can't until I have been here and posted 7 posts. Also the blog for "Diabetic Alert Dogs" is great.

The dogs are tested for scent ability at 7 weeks, there may be 2 to a large litter or none. Then those dogs are temperament tested, if they pass that, then Dee fast tracks them on puppy training and we pick the puppy up at 10 weeks. Then we start basic training heading the dog toward Service and Therapy dog certified by age 1. Somewhere in there I think pretty early we start scent training the dog for BG lows. The lows are done first, then once the dog has those you scent train for the highs. Which I don't really have so that will take awhile. I do not know everything about it, but will keep you informed. I know it will be a lot of work, but willing to try. They alert about 20-40 minutes sooner than monitor. Often someone may check and be in the 100's, but if they ignore the dog warning, they will realize later the dog knew it was coming. These are the same type principles and dogs used for bomb and drug dogs. This breeder has supplied dogs to Homeland security, military, and California prison system.

My dog will probably be a chocolate lab, as the 2 oldest litters are chocolate, there is 1 female yellow lab in a third litter, but even they do not know which are going to be scent dogs yet of the 3 litters,just have to wait.
Beverly

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
After reading about your new 'monitor' one has to appreciate the hard work that goes into training these dogs. I hope that things work out for you. At least you will have a great companion :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
btyler, At least you have one of the better trainers. She knows that you also need training as training is an ongoing process for the life of the dog. It will not be as comprehensive, but reinforcement is a constant.

Good luck and keep us posted about the successes with the dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts