The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the insulin-takers out there ...

My nurse-counselor is recommending I change from my Novolin R -- regular insulin -- to a rapid-acting bolus insulin.

She'd also like me to switch from Novolin N (NPH) to a "once per day" basal.

She did not provide the names of the proposed new insulins. I'm assuming Lantus for the basal.

QUESTION: Would you switch? I'm used to what I've got now, but she says the change would make life a little easier.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I agrre with her it does make life a lot easier. You won't have to worry about when your basal insulin going peak and makes doing everyday things much easier.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I was well controlled with NPH and switched to Lantus.

I did even better with lantis and Apridra.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
To the insulin-takers out there ...

My nurse-counselor is recommending I change from my Novolin R -- regular insulin -- to a rapid-acting bolus insulin.

She'd also like me to switch from Novolin N (NPH) to a "once per day" basal.

She did not provide the names of the proposed new insulins. I'm assuming Lantus for the basal.

QUESTION: Would you switch? I'm used to what I've got now, but she says the change would make life a little easier.

Many thanks in advance!
If you are comfortable with what you are taking, why change? I can see why she would like for you to change. Lantus has no peak and rapid acting insulin leaves your body quicker. It is your choice but I think Lantus and Novolog work very well for me.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You!

If you are comfortable with what you are taking, why change? I can see why she would like for you to change. Lantus has no peak and rapid acting insulin leaves your body quicker. It is your choice but I think Lantus and Novolog work very well for me.
Well, I'm familiar with my current stuff, but comfortable? Dunno. I really didn't have enough info to make a decent decision.

Based on what you all have told me, this looks like a good change. I can keep control, sort of, now -- with constant vigilance. More ease with the non-D part of my life would be a Good Thing.

Many thanks to you all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts