The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We don't use ours as much as we used to, but it's a darn good method in the heat of summer when we don't wanna heat up the house at the same time we're running the a/c!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol see I am the opposite well sortof its so stinking hot here in the summer I don't step one foot outside. I wouldn't dream of waiting for the fire or sitting while something is cooking. besides me :flame:

but right now our weather is perfect for grilling.

I have been wanting a cast iron Hibatchi type grill . Last time I bought one they where soooooooooooo cheap. You could buy them in Walgreens. Now I see them for $70 & up :eek: I'll have to think on that.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Oh I don't sit out there to tend it - way too hot/humid for that here too! :p Ours is a big Weber & I just slap the lid on it & go back inside. We've had some glorious briskets & big ol' smoked hams on that thing. Don't use it so much for quick things like burgers or hot dogs, because it takes longer to get the coals just right than it does to grill the food - that's where the gas grills come in so popular, I guess; instant heat.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I use a smoker . I put in my Charcoal then a pan of water(one gal.) The lower rack gets the ribs,pork steaks,or chicken.The top rack gets the hambugers and brats.In three hours If the heats on ideal its ready to eat. Tender but not to tender. During that three hours I do what I want.:eek:

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I use one in the summers here in Louisiana too. I love the taste of meat from one. Just last week, a friend was cooking on his and asked if I wanted some long-smoked meat cooked and I took him up on it and had a standing rib smoked!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I use one year round If its 100 out, I grill If its 0 out, I grill. I use REAL LUMP hardwood charcoal not that bricket crap they try to sell you. I dont start my charcoal with liquid hydrocarbons ither. I use a chimney and newspaper.

MMmm MMmmmm Good.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And where do you find that great charcoal? All I can find are the bricketts (sp?).

lowes for one. Home depot. I even see it in Publix. I think I also saw it in Wal mart.

when I used to grill I used nothing but that.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My hardware store, Ace hardware. one year I bought 10, 20# bags from the "grill" shop and got a 10% discount that lasted me about 6 months.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I grill year around usually once or twice a week use the propane in winter and charcoal in summer. Chimney and paper so you don't get that starter taste and it starts just as fast or faster

·
Registered
42 Posts
we have both charcoal and gas. the charcoal usually gets fired up on the weekend where during the week I will put some meat on the gas grill because it is quick and easy

·
Registered
94 Posts
We do a lot of RVing and like to cook outside. Over time we moved from cooking over the fire to setting up a charcoal grill next to it so that we could get a more even heat and cook more things like ribs and corn on the cob.

I like using Royal Oak charcoal made from real wood. I buy it from Walmart and I think it costs a bit more, but I think it's worth it.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Before our move to Sweden, we had a house just outside Ottawa, Canada and I had built a fire pit in the huge backyard. I surrounded the pit with homemade split lot benches. We would often invite friends and family for an evening of BBQ and drinks. Nothing tastes better! It would usually be a full evening thing beginning at 5-6pm and ending in the wee hours of the morning. Everyone was invited to sleep over. We even did this in -35° C weather (-32° F) with snow falling in huge flakes and the bonfire we had going in the pit keeping us warm. The good ol' days!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Cook all year round down here in the South. The best was a house we were renting that had a fire place. I was given a Lodge Hibachi Charcol Grill that fit neatly into the fireplace. Nothing like cooking a 5lb london broil on an open flame while watching the Steelers kick some butttt. Sure made the house smell good.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Lodge Grill

Works like a charm, get the chimney primed first though or you will have a house full of smoke.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lodge Grill

Works like a charm, get the chimney primed first though or you will have a house full of smoke.

lol funny you posted this. I have been looking at them myself. only for outside on the patio.

amazon has them for $70.other places have them too. Lowes. Target.

I like the fact they are cast iron grates.

I remember buying this type of hibachi at the drug store for $10. lol.

I gave all but one CI skillet to my DD. It makes to much smoke in my house to use it.

I may end up with this unit yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts