The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my name is Marc. 54 yr old diagnosed recently.
I am without insurance and low income.
Difficult to afford "current generation" of fancy blood test strips.
It seems to be very parrallel to razors and printer cartridges where the business model is to basically almost "give you the machine", then sell you the refill big $ strips for testing.Dog heartworm med is same,like $15/month compared to the active ingredient Ivermectin for like 50 cents/ month. All marketing to make money.Car windshields $400+ paid by insurance compared to $150 if cash.
PLEASE - I am hoping an "old school" diabetic can give me a less expensive way to monitor my blood sugar than these currently promoted "pick your color" cute little machines.I could not care less about the newest technology if the old was good enough.

I don't care iif it's "big and clunky and slow" I'm not hiking in the mountains or in any race.
As long as it is sufficiently accurate, I do not want to pay for quickness or convenience or memory for it to tell me where i was last day or week.i do not need my result in 5 seconds. I can wait longer.
I just want to read my blood sugar sufficiently accurate to monitor,and cheap.
Please, Older Timers help. Thank You Very Much. Marc

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Hi Marc - I'm not an old-timer but can tell you there aren't 'old' meters that are cheaper. One of the meters that has cheaper strips is the Reli-on at Walmart. Otherwise, you can find strips on eBay (watch the expiration dates) and Amazon that are less than half what you'd buy in the pharmacy.

You can keep a look out for free promotional meters - they usually have some free strips in them.

And yes, it's just wrong how expensive these things are!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've used the ReliOn meters from Walmart ever since I was diagnosed, because at that time, I was uninsured as you are, and had BEEN uninsured for twelve years. I have since aged into Medicare, but it is still easier to just buy the Walmart brand than argue with Medicare over how many times a day I'm allowed to test.

Sad to say, I agree with your complaints - it's what happens in a society when things/money become more important than people.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
After trying a couple I now use the Relion meters and strips....it's really cheaper than the others even if bought off eBay. I'm not formally diagnosed so have to pay out of pocket....and a friend who'd had hers sent to her under Medicare told me the other day that she found out they sent her into the 'donut hole' on it last year, so she was asking which I'd found the cheapest. I've found them fine tested against the others.

Welcome to our happy little group!

Good luck,

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I use the sidekick at wallyworld, $20 gets you really good meter, 50 strips and a check solution. This meter has never failed to give a predictable number.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have gotten all my bg meters for free on the company websites. Sometimes they come with 25 free strips. My insurance doesn't pay for strips so I am on my own. I buy my strips on Amazon and get them about 50-60% offf. Many people also get great deals on E Bay. If your bgs are pretty much controlled you could save money by alternating bg testing. That means one day do aftermeal breakfast testing, the next day do lunch and the next day do dinner. Although not the best way, if you know exactly what foods spike you and repeat the meals that give you good bgs your bg should be fairly stable. Lots of people use the Relion brand, the Target brand or other store brands and they seem to work fine.

·
Registered
916 Posts
its the strips not the meter. I have not paid for a meter yet.

But medicare sure makes you jump thro hoops to get strips.:mad::mad: I have to provide them eevry month ( I can get only 100) with a written 'to thier satisfaction' result sheet. PIA.
If there is one mistake on it they refuse my strips.

Yet not one word over the needles or the insulin & their needle. Or all the pills.

I mean what is the deal with the strips?????

If I pass muster I get 100 for $3.30 ..

I also do not test the 4 times rx by Doc. I have to hord my strips. :mad:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use TRUETest. I usually purchase them at Amazon for anywhere from $12-$16 per box of 50 strips, free shipping.

Amazon also recommended to me the "Omni Health Embrace" meter. The meter and strips are ridiculously cheap and the reviews mixed. I know nothing about this meter, but I had to point it out because how affordable it is compared to companies that charge $30+ for a box of strips.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ReliOn now has the "Prime" meter and strips, 50 count for $9. It is cheaper to buy off the shelf than deal with insurance company. My endo highly recommends ReliOn products.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Welcome . Its the same in some other countries. Our meters cost R400-R500 and the strips are R250. My insurance pay for 1 batch only per month. I honestly dont know what some people do without testing due to affordability.
I didnt know how important it was and how often, until I joined here.

People are sick.......who needs politicians?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm a pre-diabetic, so my insurance won't cover strips or a meter. I have two meters I use, but my favorite is beginning to be the Relion Micro, from Walmart.

It's not the one with the $9 strips, but 100 strips cost $36, which is affordable for me. Also, the strips really suck up the blood, so I don't think I've ever wasted a strip by getting an error from not getting enough blood (also, it needs only .3 microliters, which is easy to get).

I also use the Relion A1c test. You have to mail them in, but if I do the sample correctly, it matches the doctor's office. The cost of the kit is less than my co-pay at the doctor's, so it's actually more affordable. Plus, I get only one test covered a year from insurance, so this lets me test more on my own.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just bought my truetest strips for my true result meter on amazon. I paid $18.99 for 100 strips. I bought two sets so I got 200 strips for $42 after shipping. :D That's the best I've seen anywhere!! Ah - I just chcked the same page and they are now $22 with free shipping for 100 strips. I guess I got a great deal, I acted fast!

But I get 200 strips currently for 3 months through insurance for $60 (accu-chek smartview strips for my new (free) Accu-chek nano meter) so I have to supplement the rest of the strips. My doc wants me testing 4x a day. I usually check twice that but I'm trying to follow orders so I'll try to test 4x a day only. AFter breakfast, after lunch, after dinner, at bedtime.

I'd definitely check out the True meters by Nipro. The True2Go and True Result meters use the Truetest test strips which is what I use to supplement my strips. Both meters are very accurate.

When I bought the Relion Confirm meter 2 years ago and its test strips I was consistently getting a readings that were always 20 points LOW. Same with the Bayer Contour and it's strips. So those went into the trash for sure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Brittany! Welcome back! So good to see you. Bring us up to date on how things are going! :wave:
Hi, Shanny. Well, I gained 40 pounds when I started on Metformin in 2010. I just went off of it this January 1 since it wasn't doing anything for my bg's. I will be starting Byetta tomorrow. I would have started it Friday but they didn't have enough pen needles in stock.

My bg's have been creeping up some since I was diagnosed. Eating a sandwich on low carb bread spikes me at 2 hours to 155. It would have been down to about 130 at 2 hrs previously.

I've had 7 toe infections in teh past 6 months. I think it has to do with my increase in blood sugar. Not sure though. I'm currently on antibiotics again. I hope the byetta stops my toe infections.

How have you been, Shanny?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi! I am new to this forum and was only recently diagnosed with Diabetes. I am on Metformin but was told that it didn't cause weight gain. Is that not true?

·
Registered
191 Posts
From my understanding the vast majority of people do NOT gain weight on Metformin. I am in the minority apparently. So don't worry. It's probably just my stupid body that caused it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am having trouble losing weight but that is not new for me. :0) I use the True2go meter to supplement my Accucheck meter - the test strips for the True2go are much less expensive than the Accucheck strips.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am having trouble losing weight but that is not new for me. :0) I use the True2go meter to supplement my Accucheck meter - the test strips for the True2go are much less expensive than the Accucheck strips.
I do the same thing! I now use an accu-chek Nano meter and get 200 strips by prescription then I get 200 stips for my TrueResult meter that uses the TrueTest strips that go with your True2go meter :) Funny!

I just got this accu-chek nano meter on Friday. I really like it. I will be asking my doctor to submit proof that I need more than 2 strips per day so that I can get 400 strips per 3 months because he wants me testing 4x a day which is 360 strips in 3 months, which they will give me 400 strips since vials of strips come in 50's for accu-chek. :) I'll call tomorrow to request that he does that. Hopefully it'll work.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Maggie . . . metformin usually works more as an appetite suppressant. It rarely causes weight gain, and for me it curbed my appetite and I lost 30 lbs. quickly after going on it.

The best way to get the most from metformin is using it in conjunction with the low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating. Since it works in the liver to reduce secretion of glucose into the bloodstream, and it also works with the insulin receptors of the cells making them more sensitive to the insulin that is already available in the bloodstream, the low carb food plans are much more compatible with this medication. But we can't just eat everything we want and expect metformin to take up the slack - it isn't compounded to work that way.

That being said, I guess if patients had cause to think it allowed them to eat more carbs, then the excess carbs could cause weight gain.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts