The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
that's amazing 70% water...this is the brand I use AYAM Australia - COCONUT - Quality ... I know with imports into Australia they have to pass some guidelines on labelling etc...plus there is also an ISO (International Standards Org) standard...but I've found there is so much that falls through the cracks...

and yeah I dont think I want Potassium metabisulfite in my food lol

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And I'm trying to figure out how coconut MILK, plus water & some indispensable Asian ingredient turns out coconut CREAM . . .

·
Registered
741 Posts
lol I just went shopping and checked out a whole lot of different brands of coconut cream...I never looked that hard b4 basically just at the fat content...

ordinary coconut cream had 65% water *shock horror*
premium coconut cream was 100% coconut

now Iv'e been buying the premium one as it has the highest fat content but blow me down at the 65%...I figure the 'additive' is some kind of gel? so it's pretend coconut cream...

we certainly don't have the range of foods you get over there but I think we have a very good array of Asian stuff...but saying that I couldnt get this info online...they don't list their ingredients....3 different brands....

i look like some crazy spy with my microfying glass checking out the TOO SMALL ingredients in the supermarket...I tell my daughter I'm preparing for my old age and to get used to it lol

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Eagle-eye Shanny on the case.

Why did I think this tortured coconut cream odyssey was over? I have oh - 6 more cans of that Savoy stuff, and drove inland to a community to get it after calling 100 bazillion places. <note to idiot self: read entire label> I was so focused on cream ... carbs ... bah.

Okay - I'm calling these guys tomorrow to find out the actual ingredients in this: Coconut Cream, 250 ml pack » Wilderness Family Naturals

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
The milk and cream here look the same to me ...
I pulled out two cans from the cupboard:

Mae Ploy coconut milk
1/3 cup
160 calories – 150 from fat
Total fat – 17 grams – saturated fat 12
carbs – 3
coconut extract, water, citric acid, sodium metabisulfite

Savoy coconut cream
½ cup
200 calories – 180 from fat
total fat – 20 gr – saturated 14
carb – 3
coconut milk 70%, water, potassium metabisulfite
allergy advice: contains sulphurdioxide

Per cup:
coconut milk – 41 grms fat
coconut cream – 40 grms fat

·
Registered
741 Posts
Coconut cream contains about 21-25 percent fat, while coconut milk around 17 percent...

Eyeballing it...coconut milk looks watery lol whereas the cream is very thick....

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
The milk serving is for 1/3 cup, the cream for 1/2 cup. The fat is expressed in grams not percentage - so per cup they are the same number of grams. Am I missing it?

·
Registered
741 Posts
sometimes nutritional data is expressed as a percentage of a 2000 calorie a day (or 1800 or 1500) diet...but I use an Australian site here and I looked up both coconut cream and coconut milk and this is what I got

coconut cream and coconut milk

and this is the US site CalorieKing I like them as they have local brands

so in answer to your question

1/2 a cup of coconut milk 2.5gms and
1/3 a cup of coconut cream is 3gms....

so similar carb count

hope that helps

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yep I use Savoy. You have to use water to extract the liquid from coconut, and anyone who does not list it is a liar. Metabisulfite is also common in wines. Unless you are allergic it is okay.

I bought about 6 cans of coconut cream at the asian grocery this weekend -- at TWO BUCKS a can! All the brands were more than usual.

·
Registered
741 Posts
yup they do use water....1:1 ratio for milk and 1:4 ratio for the cream...we're very lucky here as Asian foods are so cheap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts