The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Here is my first post in November, 2009.

"I'm new to this forum too (I found it last week and read several posts). My story is similar to yours...constant fatigue and brain fog for a very long time. I'm 5'5", ~205 lbs and I don't care for artificial sweeteners. I have exercised in the past (running and indoor rowing) and need to get started again. I'm delaying it because I have low iron and am in the process of figuring out the right amount."

I'm a self-diagnosed pre-diabetic, and haven't forgotten about it. Since 2009, I've worked hard on making a few changes.

1. Although it took a year, I got my low iron under control, and feel a lot better. I think it had a positive effect on getting the metabolism in better control, too.

2. I was laid off from a second part-time job, one that had a bakery and a Ben & Jerry's. Both were a constant temptation and sources of pre-diabetic symptoms.

3. I've become a vegan (vegan =no animal flesh or animal products) because of muscle pain related to eating that stuff. My pre-diabetic health has improved because I've given up high fat foods like cheeses and ice creams. As a higher cardiac risk (father had a heart attack at 45), I'm sure that my HDL numbers have improved even more.

Overall I feel A LOT better: I've lost 14-15 lbs, and don't have the brain fog, fatigue, pressure behind the eyes and have reduced the itchyness in places that shouldn't itch. I'm much less irritable, and except for depression because of long-term unemployment, my memory has improved.

I've been eating a lot of vegetables and fruits, and have been watching all bread, and bread products. The breads (vs. candy, soda, chips, other junk foods) tend to be the harder things to ignore.

I have more work to do, like a more balanced diet, even less overeating, and incorporating enjoyable exercise into the daily routine.

I'm going to lurk for a while, as a reminder of how much work I seriously need to do.

Thanks for reading,

not yet

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I'm curious what being a self-diagnosed pre-diabetic means. How do you diagnose this? Have you had bloodwork or any objective testing?

In any case, it sounds like you're on a great health plan for yourself and have gotten wonderful results from it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

I'm curious what being a self-diagnosed pre-diabetic means. How do you diagnose this? Have you had bloodwork or any objective testing?

In any case, it sounds like you're on a great health plan for yourself and have gotten wonderful results from it.
Thanks! I'm making a serious effort to have a healthier lifestyle, because it feels better, and there is nothing positive about getting diabetes! :)

Yes, I looked at my HbA1c results (110 fasting), and then compared them to the guidelines established by ADA, and the American Academy of Clinical Endocrinologists. I think that pre-diabetes is 90-126 fasting HbA1c.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome back, not yet . . . good to hear things are improving! Would be great to have you jump into the conversations too, but I know it takes time, so I'll wish you "happy lurking", knowing you'll pipe up if you have something to say! ;)

G

·
welcome Not Yet :) so when you say fasting HbA1c... do you mean the 60 day test? or are you referring to finger prick test in the morning after fasting at night? You're doing really well be the sounds of it... good on you for figuring out what works best for you. Keep up the regular BGL checks to make sure you're on the right track.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"...do you mean the 60 day test? or are you referring to finger prick test in the morning after fasting at night?"

It was from the standard blood draws at the doctor's office. I think that's the 60 day test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts