The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend made this for me tonight and it was fantastic!

Ingredients

2 eggplants
1 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 (2 cup) containers low-fat ricotta cheese
1 lb hamburger
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 -2 eggs
Italian spices
salt and pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425°F Spray two cookie sheets with non-stick spray.
2. In one bowl, beat the egg(s) until well incorporated. In another bowl, put your parmesan cheese along with any Italian seasonings you like, and salt and pepper.
3. Slice eggplants into 1/2 inch slices. Dip each slice in the egg, then into the parmesan cheese until covered. Place on cookie sheet.
4. Cook at 425 for 20 minutes, turning the eggplant slices half way through.
5. Meanwhile, brown the hamburger.
6. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F once the eggplant slices have finished cooking.
7. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Put a small amount of spaghetti sauce on the bottom, then layer half the eggplant slices on the bottom.

Cheesy Low-Carb Eggplant Parmesan Recipe - Food.com - 316691

Reactions: MCS and d33na

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I make something similar except without the meat. I dip my eggplant slices in egg and then almond meal and parm. Then I saute it in Coconut Oil. Then I use canned tomatoes and alternate the fried eggplant slices, tomatoes and more cheese and I spice to taste. I love eggplant.

Reactions: foxl and d33na

·
Registered
741 Posts
yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I know what I'll be making tomorrow

jwags do you make baba ganush?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I make this too. I call it eggplant lasagna. :p
I don't precook my eggplant either, I just slice it thin slices & then layer with all the ingredients like I was making a pasta lasagna.
baking it makes the skin soft too.
with or without meat its really good.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've tried to make baba a couple of times, but it didn't taste like the restaurant version. My 22 year old daughter makes it much better than me. I think the trick is to get the bitterness out of the eggplant. I love baba though and wish I could make it. Do you make it and if so what is the trick?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I used to make baba when we grew a garden & had eggplant coming out our ears. We grew the oriental eggplant which is not as bitter, so it was never a problem. 'Course I haven't tasted any restaurant versions either, so I had no comparison. But if you can get the long thin variety, try that, Jeanne - you may top your daughter after all! ;)

Cook's Thesaurus has a good write-up on all the different eggplants.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It sounds great but it said 8 servings in 9x13 pan is 14.5 carbs per serving not counting the ricotto cheese(which probably doesn't have any carbs). Guess I am greedy but I would want 2 servings and since that would be almost 30 carbs it would wipe me out.
Did it raise anyone's bg? Just curious because I know we are all different.

·
Registered
741 Posts
no I haven't made it lol was hoping you had...I shall ask around a few foodies I know and see if I can get any tips.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Humhum - I put the recipe into the software I use for this stuff (Chron-o-meter) and came up with 11 carbs/serving. I'm not sure what sauce my friend used, but I use ones that have 4 grms per 1/2 cup so figured it on that.

Reactions: Carolina
1 - 10 of 10 Posts