The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I use chia seeds. You can use them in practically anything. They do not have a real taste of their own; they will take on whatever food taste you put them in or on. I usually sprinkle on salads, in my soup, practically anything. You can also use the chia seeds to make a gel of sorts and incorporate it into a SF jelly/jam, or with peanut butter, or pudding, or jello....the items are endless. In order to make a gel, I believe the ratio is 1 part chia seeds to 9 parts water in a jar, let them sit overnight and the chia seeds will soak up the liquid. If you google chia seeds you will see how to use them for practically anything. One word of caution...if you sprinkle into a food and eat the food, the chia seeds will begin to become soft (kind of like a tapioca ball), but they do get stuck in your teeth, so be sure to have some floss handy for afterwards! :)

Reactions: d33na and jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As renee said put them in anything. I usually add them to all my baked goods or mix them with peanut butter or almond butter. Some people will add them to their bottled water to make an omega 3 super drink. I saw one recipe that added them to meat balls and meat loaf. They absorb liquid so they make whatever you are making very moist. They are really good when I make blueberry muffins. I know some people who just put them in a baggie and eat them raw, but they are so small they tend to roll all over the place. Unlike flaxseeds you don't need to grind them to get the Omega 3's. When I make MCS's peanut butter chocolate fudge I sprinkle some in, so you get a nice crunch .

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have noticed they do get stuck in your teeth. On one of the websites I read they talk about the Incas carrying them into battle to give them extra energy. They are also a good source of soluble fiber.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, Froggie, I wish it did windows! LOL.

They are tasty -- I tried some in my flax cracker last night, and they added even more crunch to the texture. I also mixed some into my eggs, but they gelled and it kinda creeped me out thinking my eggs were not cooked!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found one VERY good use of them --- almond meal porridge, this morning. There is a myriad of recipes for this, but here's mine:

3 T almond meal
1 T flaxmeal
1T chia seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/3 cup water, Nuke 3 minutes, add butter and cream to taste

The chia and flax are mucilaginous enough to make the texture almost like OATMEAL! It was missing with just almond flour ... even with flaxmeal.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aaaand ... even this sent me HIGH. :laser::lever:

Whackiest D, EVER.

Found one VERY good use of them --- almond meal porridge, this morning. There is a myriad of recipes for this, but here's mine:

3 T almond meal
1 T flaxmeal
1T chia seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon

The chia and flax are mucilaginous enough to make the texture almost like OATMEAL! It was missing with just almond flour ... even with flaxmeal.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Just read that 1T. chia seeds have 6 g of carb, so I'm relatively sure I could have this for dinner and I love b'fast foods for dinner. I may give it a try to see if I can do it that way. They seem good for Omega 3 too. Now to find them. Gotta call my nearest HFStore or order them online.

I'm really carb sensitive in the mornings, so I know this would not work for me then. Why not try it that way Foxl?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do not think it was the chia seeds -- all 6 g are supposed to be fiber!

I think it was the amount perhaps ... I would make it again (and re-test), maybe a little less?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

3 T almond meal
1 T flaxmeal
1T chia seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon

The chia and flax are mucilaginous enough to make the texture almost like OATMEAL! It was missing with just almond flour ... even with flaxmeal.[/QUOTE

I hope to try this tomorrow, but I have to bolus 9 cho for the almond meal and 2 cho for the flaxseed, not sure about the chia seeds yet. It sounds delicious :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
So here's a chia seed meter report. I started out the morning at 117 - not my favorite, but there it was. I ate about a cup of coconut chia seed pudding with a good splash of cream in it, and nothing else. After

1 1/2 hrs = 139 >(ouch!)
2 1/2 hrs = 114
3 1/2 hours = 109

From which I conclude: if I'm going to get a 20+ point bump in BG, I'm not going to eat it in the morning, or at least, not when i wake up over 100. I think eating smaller amounts is fine, but perhaps treating it as a meal isn't a good idea. Since it's very filling, it's nice to eat a spoonful or two as a snack.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
So here's a chia seed meter report. I started out the morning at 117 - not my favorite, but there it was. I ate about a cup of coconut chia seed pudding with a good splash of cream in it, and nothing else. After

1 1/2 hrs = 139 >(ouch!)
2 1/2 hrs = 114
3 1/2 hours = 109

From which I conclude: if I'm going to get a 20+ point bump in BG, I'm not going to eat it in the morning, or at least, not when i wake up over 100. I think eating smaller amounts is fine, but perhaps treating it as a meal isn't a good idea. Since it's very filling, it's nice to eat a spoonful or two as a snack.
I wonder if you would get the same amount of 'point bump' if you had a half cup? Do you have a recipe for the pudding? When you speak of coconut milk, is it the canned variety or the fresh that is sometimes sold in the 'dairy' section of the market? I was just wondering because our market recently started selling the brand Silk, and it comes in plain or vanilla flavored.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I prefer Coconut Dream (from the same people who make Rice Dream and Almond Dream). You find it in a quart brick where the milk alternatives are. I've tried So Delicious in the dairy case, and Trader Joe's version in a brick, and Coconut Dream is my favorite. I found the recipe here somewhere - just mix about 3 cups of coconut milk with 1/2 cup chia seeds, put it in the fridge, and stir every so often for a couple of hours until thick. I sometimes also stir in some heavy cream, or just splash some into my bowl. I do think eating less is the trick.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts