The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is our current favorite dish, my husband NEVER spikes eating it and sometimes he'll eat 2 or 3 bowls....so sharing the yumminess!

4 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 cans of creamed soup (I prefer 1 can cream of broccoli, 1 can cream of celery..Cambells.)

Make up some Chicken boullion, I make a panful to make sure I have enough to cover the chicken when I'm done adding ingredients.

Dice up a half of each red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers.

1 or both of green (3-4 onions, entirely...bulb and greens) or white ( a half to a whole) onion, depending on taste. Dice up small and add tot he crockpot.

season to taste I like to add pretty much a dash or 2 of each leafy seasoning on my lazy Susan...minced garlic..or chop up your own..and whatever else looks good while checking out the seasoning yummies. Don't forget salt n pepper of course!

2 tablespoons of butter...

add boullion broth until Chicken is completely covered and sauce is liquidy, additional spices if you feel they are needed.

Set to high and cook for 5 to 6 hours or until chicken is done.

Remove the chicken when done, shred and return to the broth, (You MUST taste while shredding, its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!)

Add your choice of Dumpling Mix...we prefer our own personal biscuit mix...But I've noted some on here using a low carb mix (not canned, sorry about that), this should be fine, either pull off and ball up and plop in or tear and drop it in....( If you would like our biscuit mix, I'll be happy to post it, but it is carb loaded..but VERY good!)

Cover back up and continue cooking for 45 minutes to an hour....enjoy!

This can come out as thick as a Gumbo or more like a soup or stew depending on your spices and amount of liquid, I personally don't like the gumbo thickness, not my taste being a yankee ;) but my husband being a Louisiana man loves it...tweak the thickness to your taste! Enjoy!

Chrissie

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Add your choice of Dumpling Mix...we prefer our own personal biscuit mix...But I've noted many on here using a low carb canned, this should be fine, either pull off and ball up and plop in or tear and drop it in....
This is completely new to me, but if there is a low-carb canned biscuit floating around somewhere out there, lead me to it. I've never heard of it. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't canned, I read it incorrectly, sorry about that..its a homemade mix..corrected! :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Do you make your dumplins with flour or an alternative flour. I have given up wheat flour because of the spikes. Lately I've been experimenting with coconut flour for biscuits. But I haven't tried dumplings, yet. Sounds good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flour, but as your not eating alot of them really..My husband eats 2-3 bowls and never spikes, I'll be happy to post his recipie if you'd like to try it :)

Chrissie

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When you say he doesn't spike, what are his bgs after he eats this. I like to keep my bgs under 110 if possible. I have given up using anything with any kind of flour in it, but could try with some other ingredients.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know his specific numbers after it, I will ask him when he gets home from work and get back to you with a number, ok?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, he says he doesn't go above 120 after meals in general which includes this one, so you may want to try a low carb dumpling to keep to your 110. Its not an exact # but its his estimated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts