The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original recipe came from Chef Albert - Cook Like a Pro - Family Circle, 4/3/90

I have substituted Brandi's Breading for the seasoned flour and bread crumbs found in the original recipe.

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, flattened to 1/4 inch thickness
3 oz. cooked smoked ham (6 slices)
3 oz. Swiss cheese (6 slices)
1½ to 2 cups of Brandi's Breading
4 eggs
2 tablespoons water
coconut oil for frying
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Fold each cheese slice in half and wrap it with a slice of ham. Roll each chicken breast around a ham/cheese wrap and secure with toothpicks if needed. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (this helps it hold its shape during cooking).

Beat egg and water together in a shallow dish. Coat the chicken rolls with the breading mix, dip into the egg and then again into the breading mix. Refrigerate once more for a short while (this helps the breading stay put during cooking).

Sauté chicken in 1/4 inch of hot oil in a large skillet until golden - about 10 minutes - turning once. Transfer to baking sheet and bake in 325°F oven for another 15-20 minutes.

Melt butter over low heat; stir in lemon juice. To serve, transfer chicken to serving platter and spoon lemon-butter over. Garnish with fresh sprigs of parsley and lemon wedges.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Mmm. . . that sounds really good ...

I just need to pick up some swiss cheese. Nom.

Thanks Shanny, I didn't even think of this, even though I love the dish...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
All the hard work is done and mine are now in the oven. (I had to use olive oil as I'm allergic to coconut. :( ) I'll let y'all know how they turn out...

We're eating them with some mixed veggies: Steaming some broccoli florets, sugar-snap peas and sliced carrots... I'll serve those with butter, salt and pepper.

The rest of the family is having a crescent roll with them, since my wife baked some up.

I'm having a root beer float for dessert: Diet root beer with 1/2c of NSA ice cream.

Yum. The chicken really looks good. I absolutely LOVE the Brandi's breading stuff, it's one of the best / easiest recipes I've found. The only hard part was finding the wheat gluten...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
OMG they were good!

OK, dinner is finished.

EVERYBODY in the family loved it. I made a couple extras for some lunches later on this week.

My wife didn't want the ham (she doesn't eat much meat) and doesn't like swiss, so we simply rolled hers up around some jalapeno havarti, which turned out to be very flavourful - she was quite happy.

Me and the kids had it as per the recipe.

They were all SOO enjoyed. Everybody raved about the lemon-butter sauce too - I wouldn't have thought of that on my own.

I ran out of ham for the two breasts I had leftover, so I used bacon and marble-chedder in those. they look pretty yummy too.

Awesome recipe, thanks Shanny!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Family joke about this recipe:
I taught my kids to cook as soon as they could be trusted with the stove, I wanted them to learn there won't always be someone around to cook FOR you.

So when one of them was in college, he invited a young lady over for dinner & fixed this cordon bleu. She was so shocked, she admitted to him that she & her mom had been discussing what he might serve, and decided "prob'ly spaghetti". :rolleyes:

So the cordon bleu didn't win her heart, but they remain friends to this day. And some months later, the young lady was invited to dinner by another swain. That time she WAS served spaghetti, and when she couldn't suppress a giggle, the poor culinarily-challenged guy asked "What were you expecting? Cordon Bleu?"

So of course she couldn't resist coming back to tell the rest of the story to the guy who had started the whole cordon bleu thing & set the bar so high! :D :D :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Methinks this is going on the "handy snacks" list too . . . been enjoying it cold today - little pinwheel slices with a dab of lemon butter. So another addition to the hot wings/deviled eggs/raw almonds/cheese stix/beef stix/etc., brigade! Yummmm :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Shanny, this sounds awful good. I never made it before, but I've eaten it many times.

Also, where do you buy the Brandi's Breading? I'm gonna check on the coconut oil, I assume you can find at national food chains. I've been using olive oil for years and just recently started using grapeseed oil (before DX).

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's kind of a nuisance to make & I prob'ly use a jillion toothpicks keeping it together, but it's a tremendous treat! My worst chore is getting the chicken flattened enough. I've been mulling over using pork tenderloin instead of chicken - that's what they use at our favorite local restaurant.

The breading is a recipe we stumbled over online - Brandi's Breading. I've tweaked for our taste to using equal parts of the ingredients . . . I think Beefy has tweaked with additional spices/herbs, and it's at least as good as the flour and/or crumbs breadings I've used all my before-D life. I make it in big batches & keep it in the freezer at all times.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's kind of a nuisance to make & I prob'ly use a jillion toothpicks keeping it together, but it's a tremendous treat! My worst chore is getting the chicken flattened enough. I've been mulling over using pork tenderloin instead of chicken - that's what they use at our favorite local restaurant.

The breading is a recipe we stumbled over online - Brandi's Breading. I've tweaked for our taste to using equal parts of the ingredients . . . I think Beefy has tweaked with additional spices/herbs, and it's at least as good as the flour and/or crumbs breadings I've used all my before-D life. I make it in big batches & keep it in the freezer at all times.
I have bookmarked both websites (Netrition & Big Daddy D's). We have a nutrition store (on the same street as my hair dresser), I'm gonna stop there and see if they carry Bob's Redmeal.

Also, my DIL picked up some Sam's Choice Stuffed Chicken Breast...Pepper Jack & Swiss-American Cheeses & Bacon; & Three Cheese & Jalapeno. 4g of total carbohydrate

Have you considered using the elastic string instead of toothpicks?

Thanks, for the information!! :smile:

·
Registered
66 Posts
OMG, Mimi! Tell me more about this elastic string!
All I know is what was on the boneless stuffed chickens that I was buying from a gourmet butcher shop. They're no longer in business, but I just Googled elastic string (Ronco sells it but are out of stock). Butcher's string, kitchen string can be purchased at grocery stores per Google. But, a good recommendation was to ask in the butcher dept and they might will give you some.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All I know is what was on the boneless stuffed chickens that I was buying from a gourmet butcher shop. They're no longer in business, but I just Googled elastic string (Ronco sells it but are out of stock). Butcher's string, kitchen string can be purchased at grocery stores per Google. But, a good recommendation was to ask in the butcher dept and they might will give you some.
Sunuvagun! I do use kitchen twine on rare occasions, so I guess I could try that . . . the toothpix make it a little more difficult to turn the rolls evenly in the skillet during the browning stage, so tying might be better, if it wouldn't disturb the breading when removed. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I poked around & discovered that our favorite German restaurant makes their cordon bleu using pork tenderloin instead of chicken. When pork cutlets went on sale the other day, I grabbed a pkg. to try it out. Voilà! They're bigger (they've been run through the tenderizer) & much easier to use than chicken (for me at least); I didn't need a single toothpix to hold things together & the cheese didn't melt away & escape during cooking! :cool: We couldn't tell any difference in the quality of the rolls either, so I think from now on it'll depend on which is cheaper.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I love Cordon Bleu... really need to make it soon!

We use prosciutto instead of ham, and put a little dijon mustard in too.

And I totally agree that it's hard to flatten the chicken and to keep it all together...the refrigeration is supposed to help with that, but I always ended up using toothpicks too. I have elastic thread that I use in sewing...but I think that would melt. Might try twine sometime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts