1 slice of an onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 can mushrooms, undrained, finely chopped
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 ounces cream cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place chicken breasts in an oiled 9" square pan, bake uncovered 30 minutes.

While chicken is baking, saute the garlic (if using fresh) and onion in the butter until translucent, but not browned. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the cream cheese. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer 2 minutes, stirring often. Turn heat to medium, stir in the cream cheese, stirring until cheese is melted. Continue cooking, stirring often, until sauce is thick.

Remove chicken from pan, discard drippings, return chicken to pan. Pour sauce on top, bake uncovered 15 minutes.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think I actually have all the ingredients except the canned mushrooms. I assume I can use fresh and just saute them first. I love chicken with sauces. Yummmm!!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
But I'm gonna have a dickens of a time dumping the pan drippings . . . so much wonderful flavor . . . :( Maybe I'll just start the chicken a little early & use the drippings for the sauce anyhow. Shouldn't make a huge difference in the timing, should it?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They add so much water to meat and chicken these days, (to bulk it up so that we pay more) what was left in the pan looked like unseasoned water when I finished baking mine today. I usually pour drippings in a container and freeze for making soup or seasoning whatever later on.

·
Registered
206 Posts
May I steal this recipe? :) :) :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
sounds delish...tonite's din dins thank you

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks again for this recipe. It was delicious! This one is going into my 'Most Favorite Recipes' for sure. My family loved it too. Thank you so much! :)

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This definitely goes to the top of the list.
I couldn't bear to turn on the oven when overnight rains have gotten our temps down enough to turn off the a/c, so I sautéed the chicken in coconut oil in the trusty old iron skillet & the water DID reduce down, leaving lovely drippings. The sauce is to-die-for . . . think I shorted us a little on the onion, not knowing how thick a slice to chop up, but we're such onion freaks that no amount is too much for us, so I'll increase the onion next time. This will be a good sauce on beef or pork too, I bet.

Thank you Gizmo! :hug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts