The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

A while back I posted asking for advice on how to relieve chigger bites. This time, I have one on my foot and I'm a little concerned because as diabetics, we have to take care of our feet. I've had it a couple days and today it's at it's height of itchyness, which traditionally, marks the start of it subsiding. It's not an open wound but I still can't resist scratching it. Campho-phenique didn't work at all, and this morning I'm feeling an occassional shooting pain up the back of my calf on the same foot.

Should I be concerned or am I, as usual, over-reacting?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you are concerned you might want to call your doctor. I'm not sure about chigger bites but if it is a tick bite it could lead to Lyme Disease, so it is better to play it safe and check with doctor.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Without malice, I'd say you are over-reacting. I live in the deep south and would say the two are not connected. I'd be happy I only had ONE. I usually find I have the whole colony in places I rather not have them. Give it a day or so and see.

Not really sure why God chose to make those little miserable creatures!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My experience mirrors Pat's . . . all the way to questioning the necessity of these cussed creatures in the grand scheme of things! They're one of the reasons I rarely leave the house anymore except to go get in the car. I must have a mild allergy because it takes a week or two to get 'em healed, and perish the very THOUGHT I'd get a tick bite! Eeeew!!

BTW, Rosie - it's REALLY good to see you back - y'having a good holiday weekend?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My experience mirrors Pat's . . . all the way to questioning the necessity of these cussed creatures in the grand scheme of things! They're one of the reasons I rarely leave the house anymore except to go get in the car. I must have a mild allergy because it takes a week or two to get 'em healed, and perish the very THOUGHT I'd get a tick bite! Eeeew!!

BTW, Rosie - it's REALLY good to see you back - y'having a good holiday weekend?

Just fine, Shanny, hope you're enjoying yours as well! Internet's been down because of moving, now I'm glomming off the neighbor's weak signal. Shhhhhh.....;)

As for the bites, I'm calling them chigger bites only 'cause I know nothing about bugs and it seems to fit the description of a chigger - red welt, itchy as hell, so I'm assuming. Can't wait to move back to Oregon - in five years there, I saw maybe one spider the entire time. Too many bugs on the East Coast!! :mad::mad::mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts