The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I competed in my corporation first annual chili cook off, and even with some stiff competition I pulled it off. I am now the official chili king. Now to plan how I will remain the champ next year.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Congrats!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What is your secret to your chilli? Congrats on the honor.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my secret this year that paid off was about a pound of good bacon. I minced it up fine in my chili pot and sauted 3 big onions in the bacon and its rendering. (everything is better with bacon)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
my secret this year that paid off was about a pound of good bacon. I minced it up fine in my chili pot and sauted 3 big onions in the bacon and its rendering. (everything is better with bacon)
Whoa baby - doesn't get any better than this!
Way to go, Tracy!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I like the idea of bacon. I usually use half chorizo sausage and half organic beef. My trick with chili is some balsamic vinegar and a good portion of dark chocolate.

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, since i dont live in a puny state like texas, but instead the great land of alaska, i am not so worried about what they feel are hanging words. ;-P

Ya know that alaska is so big they could devide it in half and make texas the 3rd largest state :)

Reactions: jwags and Shanny

·
Registered
137 Posts
well, since i dont live in a puny state like texas, but instead the great land of alaska, i am not so worried about what they feel are hanging words. ;-P

Ya know that alaska is so big they could devide it in half and make texas the 3rd largest state :)
ya and Alaska pays people to live there and there's still no one there. Just kidding. Half of my household is from Alaska and I've heard em all. Oh, chilly, I get it. hee hee

Thing about chili is there's a million ways to make it and every one is good!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congratulations! And I agree.. there are so many ways to make chili, and I haven't found one I haven't liked yet :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Chili is something I like, but it isn't one of the things I think about having - not like I need it every so often. Same with pizza - I really enjoy these things when we have them, but they don't come to mind when I'm hungry. Weird . . .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congratulations! And I agree.. there are so many ways to make chili, and I haven't found one I haven't liked yet :)
I learned a lesson from chili that anything tastes good with garlic and hot peppers on it. This has been a real life saver. Eating veggies like broccoli and cauliflower was a big problem for me until I learned to lightly coat them in oil, sprinkle with garlic, chili powder, and black pepper, then bake them on a baking sheet at 450 for 45 minutes. Now they're caramelized, sweet, and delicious. Garlicky and spicy too. Thank goodness garlic and hot peppers are low carb!

Now the problem is running out of veggies much too fast because I ate them all.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks G! I've always said the same about bacon & sour cream. ;) Lessee now, we have garlic, chiles, bacon, sour cream . . . anyone have other improvements to add to the list?! :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya need to add butter to that list shanny. allways need a little butter to make it good.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
All of you, especially Tracey sooooo owe me chili recipes! However, I think Im stuck with eating Texas Red since I spike with kidney beans. Totally ok though lol.

Don't make me call in Guido and da boys!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
. . . anyone have other improvements to add to the list?!
I used to say I could eat anything that was covered w/ a mushroom/wine sauce - until my sister asked if I like kidneys. Uh, I dunno. They would be prepared with wine and mushrooms. Okay!

That did not happen to be the dinner of my life.

Another time when I was a teen (I was so very young and naive, okay stupid) visiting her she asked if I liked sweetbreads. (The French do love organs...) Uh yeah! I love sweet bread!

Although unlike the kidney it was edible, it's now my theory it was pancreas sweetbreads, and my diabetes is some cosmic revenge by the poor creature that lost its organ to the cause of our dinner that night.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I made the decision many years ago. I will not eat organ meat. and so far except for the rare ocasion i have kept to my pledge.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've eaten most organ meats except kidney & brains. I can even say I like 'em, although I'm less fond of chicken gizzards. Breaded & fried sweatbreads are good, as are bull "fries" and turkey "fries". We have liver regularly if not frequently. When we had our own beef & processed it ourselves, we even used the tongue & that isn't so bad either.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Mom always ate tongue. I hated seeing it laid out on the cutting board. Did love liver though - and she made the most amazing pate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts