The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Splurged at lunch today. Went and ate teriyaki chicken got extra vegetables no rice. But I did eat some noodles. Now to test every hour to see what impact it may have if any.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Because of the sauces chinese food usually affects the BG a little late. This is known as The Chinese Food effect. But your choices were pretty good, and you should be OK (but for the sauces)

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because of the sauces chinese food usually affects the BG a little late. This is known as The Chinese Food effect. But your choices were pretty good, and you should be OK (but for the sauces)
Ya but it was a lot of noodles. More than I should have eaten. Typical food place. Give you about twice what you needed. Lol.

Well see. I'm going to test every thirty to hopefully see the rise and fall.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far here are my testing results

Before meal - 110
11:30-first bite
12:00 - 136
12:25 - 126
12:55 - 119

I'm going to keep checking to see if it goes back up over the next few hours. Probably check ever hour for a while instead of thirty since the numbers appear to be going down.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks not too shabby. I may try the same experiment.
I caution you. I'm typically able to eat more carbs than what most people on this forum are able to. I'd imagine if I didn't eat all the noodles and shrimp sauce is came out even better. Thanks

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I caution you. I'm typically able to eat more carbs than what most people on this forum are able to. I'd imagine if I didn't eat all the noodles and shrimp sauce is came out even better. Thanks
Thanks for the disclaimer! I grew up on Asian food, but basically can't eat any of it any more. Even if I leave out the noodles and steer clear of sweetened sauces like teriyaki, the savory sauces are just about always thickened with starch and seasoned with sugar ... and they spike.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes, I've been following your posts. :)

I would not eat any rice or noodles, just would try the teriyaki to see how that affects me.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Teriyaki is a sugared sauce. Not friendly.

Reactions: Mary

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I've been following your posts. :) I would not eat any rice or noodles, just would try the teriyaki to see how that affects me.
I could drink that shrimp sauce they make lol. But once again I try to limit it to just a taste or at least a lot less than what I use to eat.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I eat chinese about 4 days a week, the mainstay for me is hiabchi where they cook the raw food for you, I load up on LC vegies and some meats and have them cook it with a little soy sauce only. I found the grilled chicken on a stick at the chinese buffets around here are safe for me. I dont go to non buffets cause its just to hard to figure out a safe item to order. Last time I did that I got Mongollion Beef (beef, green onions, onion) no rice or noodles and my BG went to 140 (way to high for my goals) havent been to a non buffet since. I also like the Japanese places that cook at the table for you.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I enjoy making Chinese myself at home on occasion usually a flank steak with pepper and onions or chicken with fresh veggies depending what I have on hand , a little soy sauce and maybe just a touch of corn starch to thicken it up ( I can tolerate a little of it ) and good to go , certainly healthier than our local take out.

Not sure if my will power would fall short at the local buffet though. No need to find out anytime soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.