The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Butter Bean and Almond Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients
2 cups squished butter beans (I used 2 tins, rinse them and squished them with a fork)
100 gms of 85% lindt dark chocolate (melt)
1 cup of sugar substitute (I use stevia)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla
125gm unsalted butter (or oil or substitute...I find normal butter too salty)
5 eggs
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
100gms of slivered almonds (this can be omitted or changed to add raisins etc)
Method
Cream the sugar and butter
Add eggs one and a time
Add squished drained butter beans
Add the rest of the ingredients
Line a rectangular tin with paper
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean)

Serves 15...depends on your baking tin

This recipe is low in carbs and high in fibre and also gluten free so it doesn’t raise blood sugar (well not mine). I put mine in the freezer and then sliced it when it was partially frozen. I then wrapped them individually for easy defrosting....

I know butter beans (or some call them lima beans) is an odd ingredient but it works!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
hmmm I have read recipes calling for black beans, but not butter beans. I made the black bean ones and they were great -- unfortunately, nowadays, all legumes, including peanuts, spike me.

Those look lovely, though!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm I have read recipes calling for black beans, but not butter beans. I made the black bean ones and they were great -- unfortunately, nowadays, all legumes, including peanuts, spike me.

Those look lovely, though!
I saw one for kidney beans so that inspired me...Ive got heaps that use nut flours...I made some amazing muffins with chestnut flour....really light and delish! :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
muffins are my weakness lol

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I actually made muffins with coconut flour this weekend ... coconut flour AND coconut, flavored with orange extract and toffee splenda syrup. They were tiny and stuck to the papers I used, but very tasty! All six of them ...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
in australia we have sugar free maple syrup...I use that in my coconut muffins....Im happy to share all my um experiments ... some are good some are suspect lol

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've never made brownies with lima beans, interesting. I would think the beans would add carbs to the recipe. I make muffins with flaxseed and almond meal and add blueberries. They actually send my bgs down.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think lima beans are fairly low carbs...I would think lower than nut flours...plus...lima beans have heaps of protein....hang on I will check!

I use flax and psyllium ... they make for a fairly gritty end product but that is also why they are so high in fibre

net carbs lima beans = 22 per cup...thats not too bad...
net carbs in almond flour = around 19

but....what I do with muffins is mix almond + coconut flour with a bit of psyllium ...that way it lowers the carbs and obviously then ups the fibre

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Blueberry Muffins

1 cup ground golden flaxseed meal
1 cup almond meal
1 T baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 1/4 t nutmeg
1 t cinnamon
1 cup sweetner ( I mix erythitol, Torani and stevia- I use about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil or butter
4 beaten eggs
a little coconut milk, soymilk or water to thin batter

frozen blueberries
chopped nuts

topping

2 T melted butter
1/2 cup splenda
2 t cinnamon

Mix all ingredients. Add blueberries and nuts . Pour into muffin tins ( I like the Silicone ones). If using the metal ones spray with Pam. Bake 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Brush with melted butter and dip in cinnamon/splenda mix.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I think lima beans are fairly low carbs...I would think lower than nut flours...plus...lima beans have heaps of protein....hang on I will check!

I use flax and psyllium ... they make for a fairly gritty end product but that is also why they are so high in fibre

net carbs lima beans = 22 per cup...thats not too bad...
net carbs in almond flour = around 19
GREEN "baby" limas are not bad, but those big white butter beans? UH UH! I have evidence in one of my earliest BG journals! We had them stockpiled in our pantry, BD -- we were very fond of them. We donated every can ... ouch! :(

My almond flour package shows 3g carb per 1/4 c or 12 g per cup, BTW.

By the amount of carbs in peanuts and peanut butter is innocuous on first glance, too ... but I spike on a pretty small amount of those! Use your meter, and you will know what you can tolerate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts