The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find I am missing chocolate and having withdrawals. Does any one eat the Russell Stover sugar free chocolates? Is this something a diabetic should or should not do?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I have a good friend who does eat it, but also uses it for constipation!

I allow myself a square or two of the 87% chocolate when I have a craving thrown on me...maybe once a week and it is kind.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I do this:

Baker's chocolate 1/2 - 1 sq
Truvia 1 packet
Coconut oil 2 - 4 T

microwave 1 minute. Add 1 - 2 TBS cream and put in freezer. Stir until thick or solid, and eat with spoon.

G

·
hi Red... yep I do eat chocolate sometimes, but I don't have the sugar free stuff. I'd rather real sugar than artificial stuff. Just don't have very much of it when you do eat it. I only tend to have one or two squares. Chocolate itself is low GI and that means it doesn't spike your BGLs like other refined carbs would. For health benefits, the dark choc is better... but just don't bother with white choc as it's not got much nutrition in it.... just sugar and fat. You could always give it a try and if it spikes your BGLs too much then look for different options. I'm a big believer in all food in moderation.... that way you don't feel deprived. Of course I'm not saying go and eat all the junk stuff in moderation... but the occasional treat of chocolate or something is Ok.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've found I spike almost as much on a Russell Stover as I do anything else of similar serving. The sugar alcohols they use (Maltitol, Sorbitol) must seem as much like sugar to my body as ... well, sugar...

The biggest thing I've found is I'm usually MORE snackish after a sugar-free snack. I think it's possible my body has an insulin response to the sweetness of the food, and without any real glucose to move into cells, excess insulin in the system causes hunger, etc...

I get no spikes or hunger cravings from my own home-made chocolate. I do something similar to what foxl described above, using unsweetened bakers chocolate, but I also add some salted peanuts in mine. I use a little whole milk instead of cream, and mine is probably a bit thicker than hers. I don't measure, so don't ask for a recipe, lol...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I use bakers unsweetened squares, smear just a dab of coconut oil or butter on it, & sprinkle erythritol crystals on it. Now that Linda posted her secret - I'll prob'ly be nuking mine & adding cream too . . . :eek:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I eat unsweetened chocolate ... always have! Many diabetics can get away with 72% cacao or greater. Test, try, then test!

I do something similar to Linda's recipe, but often I can't wait to get it into the freezer, so I eat it just so. (Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have an uncouth streak.)

I also make hot cocoa or mocha, as follows:

HOT COCOA-MOCHA

All ingredients are to taste

-- Unsweetened cocoa powder (I like Ghirardelli's)
-- Real, heavy whipping cream and extra-virgin coconut oil (yup, I use both -- your taste buds may vary)
-- My favorite un-spiky sweetener (usually lo han or stevia)
-- Vanilla and/or cinnamon (whatever floats my boat)

Heat in microwave for a minute or so, 'til everything is warm and mixable. Stir. Then, add:

-- Hot black coffee or water (I use industrial-strength coffee, maybe w/ a shot of espresso, and a large mug)

Stir some more. Maybe lots more.

Sit back and feel sinful.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use Lindt's 85 or 90% dark chocolate and find I rarely get a spike. If you use the sugar free chocolate, start off small to see how it affects you. Many people may get symptoms from the sugar alcohols.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My philosophy is that chocolate was invented by God himself and I wouldn't want to be rude and not have some every now and then. Just to be sociable like.

Reactions: Nicole88

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
I have no interest in junk food

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Good for you! I am in chocolate since it is supposed to be good for our hearts in small amounts and it tastes better than some. Only about once a week/month only of course. It and wine are reputed to be really good for us and I'd rather have those than the carbs the ADA recommends!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I find I am missing chocolate and having withdrawals. Does any one eat the Russell Stover sugar free chocolates? Is this something a diabetic should or should not do?
Red, I haven't tried those, but I did try the Ghiradelli 84% cocao squares and they were very bitter to me - it didn't seem worth the carbs to me. Remember, most of the time 'sugar free' means they added something else to it, so it's not always the best choice.

What I do to satisfy the chocolate is make my own Starbucks style drinks with Atkins Mocha Latte shakes, ice, heavy cream and a little flavored extract, and I also have been making my own chocolate pudding with cream cheese, Truvia, unsweetened cocoa and cream. It does take the edge off! :)

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I'm another who has very dark chocolate squares - one every couple of days - but then I don't find it bitter at all.

For a sweeter chocolate taste I put powdered cocoa (Ghiradelli's) into plain greek yogurt and sweeten with erythritol to taste. The yogurt does give it a bit of a tang, but I think it's delicious.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts