The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My lipids are awful: high triglicerides, low HDL, high LDL – pretty much wrong all over. I rejected statins but my endo did prescribe Niaspan (prescription niacin.)

I’m concerned about the flushing side-effect, potential rise in fbg, liver function, and have I forgotten anything? Oh yes, this news item just today:

Cholesterol study shows niacin no good at cutting heart risk - HealthPop - CBS News

This news doesn’t seem to be about Niaspan as much as the issue of cholesterol levels and their relationship to heart events and survival in general.

I’m befuddled, re the issue of cholesterol in general. There is so much information, and controversy, and I haven’t a handle on the complex Truth as to the numbers which are truly dangerous. I know LDL should be fluffy, total cholesterol doesn't matter it's all about ratios, but have trouble getting a grip on just what to worry about and what not.

Am inclined to just keep on w/ my low-carb and see what 6 months will bring. Am finally adding a high quality fish oil Amazon.com: Carlson The Very Finest Fish Oil Liquid Omega-3 Lemon, 500ml: Health & Personal Care but Niaspan?

Anyone take it? What has been/is your experience?

Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My personal conviction is that: if cholesterol measurement serves any purpose (other than selling drugs) it is as a marker of underlying inflammation. Better to look at ways to combat the inflammation (cut out grains, sugar and industrial seed oils for starters) than attack what our body is doing to try and counter the problems it causes.

Seriously, taking a statin to lower LDL is like trying to reduce the number of house-fires by cutting back on fire-men and women!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I've got a prescription for a statin waiting for me. It'll keep waiting for a while; most likely, 'til it expires. Didn't ask for it, anyway.

Its common side effects (joint pain, but especially fatigue and brain fog) sound a lot like my old symptoms. I'd rather, like, stay functional!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shalynne - yeah, I've been resolved not to take statins, but am uncertain about niacin (Niaspan is prescription niacin, but a different type than OTC as I understand it.)

Frank - the inflammation issue makes sense. Agreed on not taking a statin, but any take on niacin?

Pat - I'm averaging about 50 carbs/day and will go down to 20/30 if I have to ... have to ... :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I considered Niaspan when I rejected statins. But then I learned that max doses of niacin (OTC or prescription) often raise sugar levels.

Plus, it seems niacin may do little or nothing to reduce heart risk:

Cholesterol study shows niacin no good at cutting heart risk

I'm still trying to learn, but am close to concluding that anti-cholesterol drugs are snake oil, of a particularly venomous variety.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gotcha - thanks. I was putting them in different categories which is the wrong way to look at it. I knew I didn't want the risk of statins, but find the issue of cholesterol confusing enough that I thought - well, maybe niacin could be an insurance policy. Sorta like praying to God even if not a believer :)

I'll stash the script and have another serving of beef a la cheese.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I guess Niacin falls under my general attitude to any artificial manipulation of cholesterol levels: cholesterol is a vital biochemical process, so if my body feels I need a certain amount then chances are it knows better than I do.

If the amount or type of lipids is as a response to inflammation (for example) then better to look to the underlying condition than my body's response.

So is the Niacin helping the underlying reason for low HDL -- if indeed there is such a thing as an abnormally low HDL -- I don't know but I'm not encouraged by the study published above nor the possible side-effects.

As with any drug I ask "what is the risk to benefit ratio?".... and increasingly I decide that what I eat is the first and best and line of defence.

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I was on niacin (over the counter, not niaspan) for 15 years, to avoid statins.

After getting D I was taken off it by my internist, who told me it messes with blood sugars, but stubbornly attempted its use again via an endo ... and it very obviously, and unpredictably messed up my BGs. So, for me, never again! I have 6 bottles of it in my med chest that I will resent throwing away -- but good riddance to bad rubbish!

I wonder now whether it even actually played a role in my beta cell shutdown and DKA.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was stupid and gave into my doctor on statins. After a year they destroyed my muscles and made me so weak, I couldn't function. Luckily I did some research and found out what was causing my all over body pain and brain fog. Once I stopped the statins within weeks most of my symptoms disappeared. It has been almost a year and most of the damage is on the mend, even though my muscles are still not as toned as they once were. A low carb diet is the best way to deal with lipid numbers. I find the saturated fat , red wine and flaxseed are great in raising HDL. Mine is almost 90. I really don't care what my LDL is.

Reactions: fgummett and moon

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Gotcha - thanks. I was putting them in different categories which is the wrong way to look at it. I knew I didn't want the risk of statins, but find the issue of cholesterol confusing enough that I thought - well, maybe niacin could be an insurance policy. Sorta like praying to God even if not a believer :)

I'll stash the script and have another serving of beef a la cheese.
Naaahh, you were looking at it just fine, especially considering I hit "Send" prematurely!

They're two different things ... but from what I can see, they're both bad things.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I gave niacin a try extreme flushing and elevated BG . Have been prescribed crestor;joint pain and muscle soreness.

Am now using vit c lysine proline (lLinus Pauling formula for heart health>)

G

·
oh I have good overall cholesterol apparently... but like you Moon I did notice I had lower HDL than LDL. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the other way round. I'm also taking Ramipril, and I just went and checked the fact sheet on that again and my head now hurts. lol. Why on earth do they place us on these drugs that cause so much other stuff to go wrong in our body? I just read that Ramipril has been known to raise BGLs amongst other things... like I need help with that. There's so many anomalies to consider isn't there. Now I'm seriously thinking all my problems could just be a result of all the drugs I've been on. I've been on Ramipril for years now too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts