The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My husband has been taking a cholesterol lowering drug for quite some time, and tests were fine until a month ago (I don't know the number) and at the same time he was diagnosed with Type2 diabetes. Since his diagnosis, I have been cooking with the oils that members here recommend except flax oil because I checked out the warnings which said someone who takes a blood thinner should not use it.

Yesterday he said he is concerned because he has been eating more fat than he thinks he should have, because of the cholesterol. I read a couple of posts that said fats are important for diabetics, so I would like to know if they are more important to diabetics than others, and if so, why.

I looked up Ancel Keys and found there are many websites that say his theories have been disproved several times. So at this point I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Keys' theories have not only been disproved, they've been proven to be fallacious & the results manipulated to begin with. Who runs a study and then disregards 68% of the subjects because they didn't return the results he had already decided about?

If you could find your husbands numbers and compare them, it's possible that his cholestol rose because his HDL rose, and that's a good thing. If his tryglycerides are dropping, that's another good thing. It might even be a good thing if his LDL rose slightly, because the small dense LDL particles are being replaced with large fluffy LDL. There's a lot to interpret with the lipids tests.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Before diabetes I was a vegetarian and ate no fat, no cheese, no eggs and no meat. My cholesterol numbers were the highest they have ever been because my bgs were too high. As I have introduced meat, eggs and cheese and fat back in my diet my cholesterol and bgs have gone down. Now my overall numbers still get flagged because I have raised my HDL to 89 which bring the overall numbers up. The important number to predict heart disease is the ratio of your Trigs/HDL Mine is almost 1:1 , anything under 2 is good.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then it sounds like I am on the right track and will keep on doing what I have been doing. I knew the folks here would have some knowledgable answers, it sets my mind at ease.

Shanny, this is my husbands first cholesterol test that came out high (200) since he was on the cholesterol lowering meds. Test results were a month ago, the same time he was diagnosed with diabetes2, so I have only been feeding him the good fats for about 3 weeks now, since I found this site. I'll let you know what his cholesterol is after his next blood test, but after reading what you and jwags had to say, I'm hopeful.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I can't remember if I told you my husband's numbers this spring since he started eating "high fat" after my diabetes diagnosis - his triglycerides dropped like a rock & everything else improved tremendously. So much so that I had to brag in this post. ;) We weren't expecting any such thing . . . when we told the kids, our RN daughter-in-law rejoiced that he has the numbers of a 20-year-old! heheh!

p.s. He's never been on any statin drugs . . . this was high-fat diet all the way, including saturated fat.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My husband went for his labs last fall. All his lipids dropped as well as HbA1c. His doctor wanted to know what his secret was. The secret was a low carb, high fat diet. He stopped eating cereal and fruit for breakfast and is now eating eggs and protein and fat. He has started consuming coconut oil a couple of times a day. He has lost weight, and has an HbA1c of 5.6 after 13 years of diabetes. He looks fantatic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts