The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my blood work back yesterday. These are my my first test results since I was diagnosed with type 2 in Oct. 2011.

Good News: A1c 10/11 - 8.3
01/12 - 5.4 :)

Triglycerides 10/11 - 770
01/12 -170

Fasting Glucose 10/11 - 198
01/12 - 77

Now, here's the bad:

Cholesterol 10/11 - 236 HDL - Unknown
01/11 - 294 HDL - 42

Medications I'm on: Tricor 145 mg Once a day
Metformin 1000 mg Twice a day

Supplements: fish oil and calcium

I'm 48, female and weigh 138 pounds now, weighed 162 in October.

I'm doing LC/HF diet and don't want to change because I thought it was really working for me. My cholesterol going up has really bummed me out though. Should I be worried? I don't eat a lot of red meat. Any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I got my blood work back yesterday. These are my my first test results since I was diagnosed with type 2 in Oct. 2011.

Good News: A1c 10/11 - 8.3
01/12 - 5.4 :)

Triglycerides 10/11 - 770
01/12 -170

Fasting Glucose 10/11 - 198
01/12 - 77

Now, here's the bad:

Cholesterol 10/11 - 236 HDL - Unknown
01/11 - 294 HDL - 42

Medications I'm on: Tricor 145 mg Once a day
Metformin 1000 mg Twice a day

Supplements: fish oil and calcium

I'm 48, female and weigh 138 pounds now, weighed 162 in October.

I'm doing LC/HF diet and don't want to change because I thought it was really working for me. My cholesterol going up has really bummed me out though. Should I be worried? I don't eat a lot of red meat. Any suggestions for me?
Difficult to give an absolute answer without knowing how long you have been on LCHF diet. It took me 15 months to go from a low HDL and high triglicerides to satisfactory figures.

Silly question, Why don't you eat red meat - it's good for you.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been doing LCHF since October. The red meat thing is mainly due to my budget. I find it cheaper and easier to buy frozen chicken. I do splurge sometimes and have myself a good steak. :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What I understand in the first 6 months or so of a LC/HF diet is that your body is purging itself of fats. If you have a blood test in that first 6 months the purged cholesterol will be present in your blood. It may take a year or so for it to clear your system. Plus most of us don't put a lot of stock in cholesterol numbers. I know doctors freak out with higher lipid numbers but getting control of your bgs and HbA1c is much more important and you should be congratulated.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hi Zinza:

The fact that your trigs came down by 600 points is awesome! Of course, trigs and sugar go hand in hand, so it makes sense that since your A1C improved so much, so did your trigs.
Your cholesterol is slightly high, but they will come down. It has only been a couple of months doing the LC/HF, so give it a bit longer. I'm sure your numbers will come down. My cholesterol approximately one year ago was over 1,000. I have been able to bring it down to 159 at last blood work check (12/11). Stay the course and you will see that number drop. Try upping your fish oil (I don't know how much you are taking now, but I've recently upped mine to 3 grams. Doc would like to ultimately see 4 grams). Make sure that the fish oil supplement you are taking has a EPA and DHA added together as close to the mg that you are taking (so if you are taking a 1000 mg fish oil supplement, you want the EPA and DHA on the label to equal as close to 1000 mg as possible). Most fish oil supplements only have a total of 300 mg out of that 1000 that has the EPA and DHA levels. This is the most important to have in a fish oil supplement. In any case, my triglycerides were almost 6500 and they have come down to 169 at last blood work as well. Such an accomplishment! Good Luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
429 Posts
What I understand in the first 6 months or so of a LC/HF diet is that your body is purging itself of fats. If you have a blood test in that first 6 months the purged cholesterol will be present in your blood. It may take a year or so for it to clear your system. Plus most of us don't put a lot of stock in cholesterol numbers. I know doctors freak out with higher lipid numbers but getting control of your bgs and HbA1c is much more important and you should be congratulated.
Yes, getting a 5% hbA1C is very good. I also agree when you are loosing weight, your cholesterol tends to go up

It easy to get obsessed by it and the professionals you see like doctors and nurses are, because it's their job, rather obsessed and it can get all a bit over the top.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
It has only been 3 months - your numbers are incredible! You're zooming in the right direction - hold on tightly and enjoy the ride :)

When you get chicken, at least get thighs and legs vs the breast since they're fattier (and usually are cheaper too!)

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I tend to eat a lot of chicken too, but I make sure I saute it in real butter or coconut oil to add fat. For so many years I avoided fat and now I am trying to incorperate more fats into my meals.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Great advice is already given, I just want to add

High lipids MIGHT hurt you, high glucose WILL.

Lipids take a longer time to respond. The most important ratio is TG/HDL. It should be under 2.0 Looks like you will get there.

Hang On.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow!!! Thanks for all the great advice from all of you! I'm going to buy new fish oil capsules and be more patient with my cholesterol number. Luckfully, the doctor hasn't contacted me yet, I thought for sure she'd be pushing a statin on me right away.

So I'd like to thank everyone for making me feel a lot better! :D

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Wow!!! Thanks for all the great advice from all of you! I'm going to buy new fish oil capsules and be more patient with my cholesterol number. Luckfully, the doctor hasn't contacted me yet, I thought for sure she'd be pushing a statin on me right away.

So I'd like to thank everyone for making me feel a lot better! :D
zinza,

This is a personal opinion only - but I would resist the offer of a statin.

The evidence supporting total cholesterol as a cause of heart disease is suspect and is largely based on observational studies rather than clinical trials. There is more evidence supporting an association with high triglicerides (note again - not necessarily a causative effect).

You will address the triglicerides in particular (and the cholesterol as a whole) by your adherence to the LCHF diet. You don't need to cope with the side effects of a statin.

Just my opinion - and I'm not a doctor! :)

John

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I totally agree with John here. I treat chl in general as an indicator that something with in your body is, has, not been functioning properly. Your body makes chl for a purpose, hormones, repairs, etc. So if you are making more chl than what is needed, something is causing this imbalance.

My doc had me drinking 45 grams of fish oil (15 grams 3 times a day) along with 5-6 grams of L-Carnitine. It was a 2 month therapy to get your body to burn the excess chl it has stored up. Any longer you risk lowering your immune system. The result for me was, I dropped my total Chl from 200 to 150, my trigs went from 90 to 38, my HDL went from 31 to 35 still low, my LDL remained unchanged at 100. I was already doing a low carb diet so I had a yrs worth of improvement to begin with.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Wow, MCS and John...both very interesting. My last cholesterol was a 159, however I do take a statin. I'm wondering if perhaps I should begin to taper off on that now. I will broach this with the cardio doc at next appt in March. Thanks for giving me something to talk to him about!

Reactions: MCS

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Don't be surprised if your cardio doc doesn't agree with the position many of us have on statins. A friend of mine (quintuple bypass friend) sees a noted cardiologist in our area who said he loves statins so much that he thought "they should be put in the water supply."

I'm not making this up.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
After my quad by-pass, the first thing the doc put me on was, Plavix, Lipitor, Beta Blocker, and Lisinopril. I was the walking dead. I don't take any of them any more except for the Lisinopril.

Don't be surprised if your cardio doc doesn't agree with the position many of us have on statins. A friend of mine (quintuple bypass friend) sees a noted cardiologist in our area who said he loves statins so much that he thought "they should be put in the water supply."

I'm not making this up.

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
8,607 Posts

I'm not making this up.
I agree that's the attitude of many doctors. The drug companies have done a wonderful selling job here.

I don't for a moment suggest that statins are not effective in reducing cholesterol albeit with some interesting side effects for the patients in the process.

What I do have an issue with is the effectiveness of this strategy in reducing the risk of heart disease.

John

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My friend with the quintuple bypass who is now on statins (but wasn't before the heart surgery), did not have high cholesterol before the cardiac event.

So - high cholesterol did not cause the heart attack or need for bypasses, but one is expected to believe uber-low cholesterol will prevent a repeat event.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts