The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

We are doing the regular Christmas Eve get together, except at our house instead of at BH's sister's house. BBQ Little Smokies, ham/turkey and cheese sliders, tacos, chips and cheese dip, and other finger foods. I'm sure BH will do me some special stuff, i.e. Earl Hughes sugar free BBQ sauce for the smokies, keto wraps for soft tacos, keto candies, low carb key lime pie, etc.

For Christmas dinner we're doing a ham and the normal fixings, if my son doesn't have to work, his shift was supposed to be off this weekend and start days Monday for 4 days but with freezing weather they were rescheduled to stay on 12 hour nights until next weekend. So if they can't make it, looks like we'll wait to cook ham for New Years.

For New Years, the traditional black eye peas, cabbage, ham, and cornbread.

Reactions: etherea

· Administrator
2,737 Posts
Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!

We’re at our daughter’s house for my wife’s family’s potluck. Our contribution is bacon-wrapped asparagus, fried cabbage, and pepper poppers. Everything else here is 87% carbs 😝 I’ll sample some items but I don’t see much that really tempts me to go far down that road.

Presents later with five grandchildren under the age of 7. This is going to be epic. Peace, everyone!

· Administrator
2,737 Posts
Christmas for us was as rambunctious as one would expect with that many small kids, but it was lots of fun, too. The general festivities were over by about 9 and we settled in to prepare for Santa's visit. I enjoyed watching the kids prepare a special massively overdecorated gingerbread cookie (some people like a little gingerbread with their frosting) for Santa and carrots for the reindeer, all of which were but crumbs by morning. It's fun to be around kids who still believe in Santa. They grow up so darn fast.

Christmas with my family tomorrow; tonight Mrs. Steve and I enjoyed our own quiet celebration. After the rush of the season, it's good to just sit back and count our blessings.

· Super Moderator
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had all the kids, grandkids, and the new great grands over for Christmas Eve along with BH's Dad and sister and their spouses. Had a great time and great eats.

Christmas Day meal was at lunch time with just my sons family over. He was able to be off Christmas Eve night and could attend both affairs. The others already had Christmas day plans that early.

Is it too early to start planning for next year?

Reactions: etherea

· Registered
4,029 Posts
Christmas was easy, but New Year's Eve will be harder! My husband is a musician (among many other talents) and will be playing at a local country club on NYE. He and I will be provided what sounds like an amazing dinner and then breakfast at the end of the night. Usually we are in bed way before midnight!
He's also a minister, so will have to get up early the next day (Sunday). :)

· Super Moderator
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When does the night end, daylight? Sounds like my younger days. But the last 40 years that I worked, if I saw in the new year, I was working the graveyard shift. I don't remember if I stayed up last year or not. If I stay up this year it won't be on purpose, it will be because I've been going to bed around midnight every night the last few months. I'm sure I'll be like George Thorogood, "when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself" and maybe even "one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer".

Everybody have a good time, but be safe, we want everyone back next year.

· Registered
4,029 Posts
When does the night end, daylight? Sounds like my younger days. But the last 40 years that I worked, if I saw in the new year, I was working the graveyard shift. I don't remember if I stayed up last year or not. If I stay up this year it won't be on purpose, it will be because I've been going to bed around midnight every night the last few months. I'm sure I'll be like George Thorogood, "when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself" and maybe even "one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer".
Everybody have a good time, but be safe, we want everyone back next year.
I hope the night ends way before daylight. I haven't stayed up to see the New Year in many years! 8pm is the new midnight for me.
BH used to be in a band that did "one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer".
And yes, be safe, so we can meet back here next year!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts