The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you haven't checked out Elanas Pantry, check it out. It is a fantastic Gluten Free site. The only problem is they do use Agave Nectar. Most recipes call for 5 Tablespoons of Agave Nectar. What would you sub in. I'm thinking either the liquid Torani or Davinci syup or some Erythitol and Stevia. Tomorrow will be my baking day . I plan on baking some gluten free, low carb cookies for my family in Maine. What do you think?

10 Healthy Christmas Cookie Recipes | Gluten Free Cookies | Elana's Pantry

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm also wondering about decorating LC Christmas Cookies. Can you dye splenda or erythitol to get sugar sprinkles. This will be the fist year I've done LC christmas cookies.

·
Super Moderator
10,009 Posts
Jwags you can send me a dozen of each if you want rapid, unbiased taste test results. 2 dozen of each would, of course, take twice as long but give a better overall result.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I have most of the ingredients. I'll have to see what food colors I have left from many Easters past or maybe I should invest in a new box. I have the Almond meal and almond flour, splenda, ertythitol, Torani and davinci syrup and lots of nuts and butter. I'll let you know how they turn out.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Me, too, Jeanne! I will stay tuned to find out what you learn. I just bought the two Torani vanillas to play around with the ideas, but won't have much time to play since I leave Tues. to spend Christmas with my kids, but I believe cookies aren't just for the holidays. Please post your results and let us know.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Me, too, Jeanne! I will stay tuned to find out what you learn. I just bought the two Torani vanillas to play around with the ideas, but won't have much time to play since I leave Tues. to spend Christmas with my kids, but I believe cookies aren't just for the holidays. Please post your results and let us know.
And we're leaving Wednesday to get to our kids too. But the laptop will come along for whenever we can find free wi-fi. ;)

Dang! How'd this holiday get here so FAST?!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We leave Tuesday, too, for the 15 hour drive to Maine, so much fun. Hopefully the weather cooperates. I hate driving the NY Thruway in snow.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And we're leaving Wednesday to get to our kids too. But the laptop will come along for whenever we can find free wi-fi. ;)

Dang! How'd this holiday get here so FAST?!

We bring our laptope everywhere. This summer when we went out West to visit relatives we brought our laptop, but our relatives didn't have WiFi so we were left out in the cold. My one cousin's DIL told me she was able to gep WiFi for her I-Pad if she went to one corner of the yard. So I experimented and did find one spot near the kitchen window where the neighbor's wifi signal came through. I can't believe people don't all lock their networks but at least I was able to get on to get my fix of diabetes forums everyday. I know my parents don't have wi-fi, but I think my sister may have it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We leave Tuesday, too, for the 15 hour drive to Maine, so much fun. Hopefully the weather cooperates. I hate driving the NY Thruway in snow.
That's about the same time as ours if we drove straight through, but we're so spoiled that we take three days - first day to Arkansas to drop off Fritz with my sister & stay the night; second day to OKC to team up with the kids & stay the night (they're renting a van so we can all go in one vehicle - yay!), so the third day kids will drive us straight through from OKC to Durango like they always make that trip; I think I'll be napping in the back end. When WE drive from OKC to Durango, we stop overnight in Tucumcari too!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spent a few hours baking this afternoon. I tries to do the Star cookies from Elanas pantry but the dough was really difficiult to roll out. I finally went with a smaller christmas tree cutter and did OK. I tried to dye the splenda and it was a mess, it really didn't absorb the color. So I dyed some unsweet coconut green and that worked OK. Instead of the AGAVE I use about 1/4 cup of canned coconut milk and some erythitol. I don't think the cookies are worth the trouble. I also made the Pecan Sandies from Elanas Pantry and they came out a lot better. I think my next project will be some Biscotti, there are a bunch of different recipes on low carb sites. I thought that would be a good thing for me to bring to Maine and eat with my morning coffee. I am also going to make some of MCS's chocolate chip cookies. So far they have been the best recipe.

·
Registered
298 Posts
jwags said:
So jealous. I want to be in Maine.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So jealous. I want to be in Maine.
About 5 years ago we went to Maine at Christmas and left a snowy Ohio and arrived in a very warm, green Maine. Now that we are driving I would welcome a green Christmas.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I don't think the cookies are worth the trouble.
I have given up on baking cookies and biscuits - all my attempts to date have failed :'( Also, because of their portion size and subsequent carb count, it is possible for an occasional "real" biscuit/cookie to slide under the DB radar as long as it does so on its own!!

Hee hee.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have given up on baking cookies and biscuits - all my attempts to date have failed :'( Also, because of their portion size and subsequent carb count, it is possible for an occasional "real" biscuit/cookie to slide under the DB radar as long as it does so on its own!!

Hee hee.

I have had lots of successes with different cookie recipes. This is the first time I have used the Blanched Almond Flour, instead of the Almond Meal and Flaxseed Blend. Quite frankly, I like the Almond Meal and Flaxseed Blend better. I find MCS's recipes work pretty good. I guess he has done the trial and error for us. I don't find I have to restrict portion size and even after quite a few LC cookies my bgs are still really good, around 100. If I eat the real thing I will be over 140 in a flash.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Since I don't want to use peanut butter, chocolate chips, coconut flour or soy flour and DH and I both get bad belly aches with flaxmeal, the cookie recipes I can try are pretty limited. I tried one recipe that called for cream cheese, but they were very fragile, weren't very cookie-like and didn't taste like cookies, but I figure there has to be a good low carb cookie recipe that fits my overly picky criteria. I just have to find it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
jwags said:
About 5 years ago we went to Maine at Christmas and left a snowy Ohio and arrived in a very warm, green Maine. Now that we are driving I would welcome a green Christmas.
I think I remember that... Where are you going in Maine?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My sister lives in Yarmouth right near where LL Bean is. My parents are in an Assisted Living Facility in Flamouth near Portland.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.